Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Preamp Advice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dpheise, Mar 1, 2003.

1. dpheise

dpheise

Feb 28, 2002
    Houston, TX
    I want to put together a rack and I need some preamp advice. I know there is already a lot out there on TB and I've been doing some research, but it gets confusing.

My main basses are a '69 Fender Jazz and a Lakland 55-01 w/maple fretboard.

Any advice is appreciated!

2. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    How much do you want to spend?

These are good choices:
    SansAmp RBI
    Alembic F1-X
    Ampeg SVP-Pro

3. dpheise

dpheise

Feb 28, 2002
    Houston, TX
    I would like to not go over $1000, but any suggestions and experience are welcome regardless of cost. I've heard Aguilar is good, but I think they're pretty expensive.

4. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Whoa! For a grand you can get almost anything.

Yeah, you might want to go with Aguilar and others in that league...I'm no help to you there since I've only been looking at cheaper preamps. Sorry.

5. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Still, I think the best thing to do is to go to a music store where you can try out different brands. Is that possible? It will help you narrow down the choices right away.

6. dpheise

dpheise

Feb 28, 2002
    Houston, TX
    I know there's a store in Houston that sells Aguilar, but as far as I know there's only the one and I don't know if they have other brands.

Actually, you are helping, because I have heard good things about the Alembic.

Thanks!

7. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    About a month ago, I was in a bar and I met the bass player that was playing that night. He was the real deal professional musician, playing in like 5 bands, traveling every other night--and he really jammed on stage.

After the show, I asked him about preamps and he told me Alembic all the way. I definitely valued his opinion on this since he knew what he was talking about, but this was after I had already bought my Ampeg SVP-Pro...

8. last I checked aguilars were well over a grand...