1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

preamp/amp/question(ampeg)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by slipknot229, Sep 2, 2001.

1. I have an ampeg SVT-3pro and i know i can hook up a preamp to the power amp section of the svt-3pro. Would it be possible to use an A/B switcher to go between the preamp and the actual amp itself? or would having a preamp plugged into the "power amp in" shut off the svt-3pro's preamp?? just a curious question in hopes of having a lot of versatility with few components

FYI:the preamp would be an Ampeg SVP-BSP

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I'm almost certain that an A/B switch wouldn't work in your case. An external pre amp connected to the internal power amp would indeed "shut off" the internal pre amp.

BTW, isn't this a perfect topic for the Amps forum? :)

3. Hi Ho, Hi Ho, its off to Amps we go...

:D:D

Merls

4. yeah...this probably does belong in the amp section but i was thinking more from a "setup" point of view. oh well. thanks for the help tho...

-chris

5. I don't think that will work. As soon as you run your outboard preamp to the "power amp in" jack, it bypasses the SVT-3's preamp.

6. ...so get in there with yer soldering iron and nipper pliers and replace the pre-in jack with a simple 1/4" mono jack (generally, like FX boxes, the jack will have an extra connector that disables when something is plugged in). :)

yeah i know it's a bit silly...and i dunno what happens when you run 2 preamps into the one poweramp, even if one is at 0 or muted.

7. Your in luck I have the same preamps on both the SVT and the SVP there should be preamp outputs to plug into poweramps. Get a line sellector to sellect your three signals and plug you preamp outputs into the line sellector. Take the unballanced line 1/4"output into the SVT-3 PRO's poweramp input allot more simple then it seems then plug your speakon into cab split the signal of your bass by using an A/B switcher. hope it helps.