Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

preamp/amp/question(ampeg)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by slipknot229, Sep 2, 2001.

1. I have an ampeg SVT-3pro and i know i can hook up a preamp to the power amp section of the svt-3pro. Would it be possible to use an A/B switcher to go between the preamp and the actual amp itself? or would having a preamp plugged into the "power amp in" shut off the svt-3pro's preamp?? just a curious question in hopes of having a lot of versatility with few components

FYI:the preamp would be an Ampeg SVP-BSP

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I'm almost certain that an A/B switch wouldn't work in your case. An external pre amp connected to the internal power amp would indeed "shut off" the internal pre amp.

BTW, isn't this a perfect topic for the Amps forum? :)

3. Hi Ho, Hi Ho, its off to Amps we go...

:D:D

Merls

4. yeah...this probably does belong in the amp section but i was thinking more from a "setup" point of view. oh well. thanks for the help tho...

-chris

5. I don't think that will work. As soon as you run your outboard preamp to the "power amp in" jack, it bypasses the SVT-3's preamp.

6. ...so get in there with yer soldering iron and nipper pliers and replace the pre-in jack with a simple 1/4" mono jack (generally, like FX boxes, the jack will have an extra connector that disables when something is plugged in). :)

yeah i know it's a bit silly...and i dunno what happens when you run 2 preamps into the one poweramp, even if one is at 0 or muted.

7. Your in luck I have the same preamps on both the SVT and the SVP there should be preamp outputs to plug into poweramps. Get a line sellector to sellect your three signals and plug you preamp outputs into the line sellector. Take the unballanced line 1/4"output into the SVT-3 PRO's poweramp input allot more simple then it seems then plug your speakon into cab split the signal of your bass by using an A/B switcher. hope it helps.