Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Preamp/amp Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Spanky, Apr 23, 2004.

1. Ive never used a preamp in my setup, just a head and cabs. Does a preamp add anything to the overall power/volume or is it strictly for dialing in tone?
    Secondly...Ive seen players "chain" more than one amp head together...forgive my ignorance, but how do you connect them....and Im assuming this adds to your total power? If thats the case I may just by an identical head to the one I have (Ampeg B2R) and do the same, rather than spend a bunch on a more powerful head.

"There are no stupid questions, Kyle...just stupid people."
    --Mr.Garrison

2. In answer to your 1st question the pre-amp effects tone the power amp affects the volume or loudness. As for your second question on chaining amps together, this can be done a couple of different ways. The easiest way is to plug your bass into input #1 of the 1st amp and then connect another instrument cable between input #2 of the 1st amp and input #1 of the second. Input #1 and #2 are usually connected together so you are stealing some signal from amp #1 and sending it to the second. Some amps may only have 1 input :meh: In this case you’ll need a splitter like 2x1/4 into 1x1/4 out. These are easy enough to find at Radio Shack or the like. Plug the splitter into amp #1. This should give you 2 inputs where you only had one before. Connect your bass to one side of the splitter and run a jumper between the other side of the splitter and amp #2. In both of these cases you are sending your bass signal directly to each amp. Amp #1 has no effect on amp #2 and visa vesa. If, however you’d like for amp #1 to act as a control for amp #2, then you’re gonna need some more creative wiring. Assuming amp #1 has a pre-amp out, plug your guitar into input #1 and run a jumper between the pre-amp out of #1 and the input of amp #2. If amp #2 has a power-amp in then it might work better depending on how the sensitivity is setup. What if Amp #1 or #2 has no pre-amp out and you still want it to be the control amp? You’ll need a direct box with a speaker input. (-40db) Behringer makes one for around $30 or so and they work just fine. Run a line from the speaker output of amp #1 to the speaker input of the direct box. Then run a jumper from the lineout of the direct box to the input of amp #2…………….and…………..

3. Very good. I do in fact have a pre out and power in on the back. (Ampeg B2R) (sorry, I said that already, huh?)...and I thought I could hook it up that way but the manual they give you with this thing barely tells you where to plug your bass in...hahaha! So then, for the second half of my question-if I put the two 350 watt heads together, do I end up with a 700 watt rig?
    Thanks!

4. csholtmeier

csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    I think you would be just spinning your wheels buying another b2r. Get an RMX850 or RMX 1450 and use the pre out into power amp. It would be more economical, louder, and more versatile. That way, when your ready you can sell off the b2r and get a nice tube pre.

5. Acepiloto

Acepiloto

Aug 25, 2000
    Yes, assuming that you are running each head seperatly into two 4 ohm cabinets. Don't run the speaker output of amp 1 into the input of amp 2. I've seen too many people do that trying to get more power AAKKKK.

6. Pardon my ignorance...why would I run the speaker out to the input ? If I hook it up as earlier mentioned...pre-out from #1 to power-in on #2, and run my speakers strictly off of #2's speaker outs...would that in essence become a 700 watt rig?

7. I also have an Ampeg B2r and decided I wanted more power so I got a QSC USA 900 power amp. I initially ran it out of the pre of the Ampeg so I was using both power sources. After some setup changes I decided the rig sounded better running both of my cabs through the QSC. Plenty enough power too (540 stereo 8 ohms). Now I am going to sell the B2r and pick up a pre-amp of some kind. It turns out the B2r can't produce a strong enough signal to fully run the QSC. Sounds great though.

Sorry for rambling but I would recommend a power amp to another B2R. Chances are you wouldn't need another pre-amp section so your money could be better spent on power.
    It also opens up the option of upgrading your pre-amp section down the road. :)

8. I'd consider that. How much for the 900? And can you explain exactly how to hook it up? Ive got 2 410's (8ohm each)
    Thanks, sounds like you are pointing me in the right direction!