preamp and pickup brands

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by projectBdaddy8, Sep 30, 2003.

1. can anyone give me some advice on pre-amp/pickup brands/prices adn tryin to get a custom jazz together, but i dont know anything about the pickup brands and stuff....i need to know what brands are good, and what kind of price id have on em...two jazz pickups w/teh preamp....
    thanks for your help
  2. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I really like what Carey Nordstrand is doing with his pickup line....high quality custom pickups designed to fill niches within the existing market. You get the same custom pickups that he uses in his top-of-the-line basses but without the "custom" price. Two models are currently available...the NJ4 for a vintage tone and the NJ4SE (split coil no noise) for a more aggressive, growly modern tone.
  3. thanks for the plugs, but im really looking for advice more than a sales pitch....
  4. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I have to second the Nordstrand pickups. He's doing fantastic things. Call and talk with Carey. He's a great guy and can answer some questions for you.
  5. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Here's a link where you can find some info, including a coupla articles by David King on pups and pres.

6. John East

John East Commercial User

Jan 10, 2002
    Oxford UK
    Owner of E-Pro & East UK
    Just one thing to say about David King's review on my J & U-Retro pres, he says:

"John is redesigning the circuit to improve the noise ratio"

I've since done this. We had a problem in that the lower output pickups, such as some of the Barts, didn't have enough signal level above the noise floor of the EQ sections. (Originally designed to work with the higher output Fender J style pickups) Although the input gain stages could be adjusted up to increase the pickup level, accordingly it made a big jump between active and passive levels.

We put an upgrade path in place for older Retros and current Bart users now seem happy.