Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

preamp and power amp not getting along?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stinsok, Feb 21, 2005.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I bought a BBE BMAX SS preamp from a fellow TB'er. I picked up today, ran home, took out my Peavey TB RAXX preamp and put 'er in. When I fired it up, there was a huge amount of static (like an AM radio on a stormy day.) I flipped the ground lift-no change. I swapped every cord-no change. I swapped outlets-no change. I swapped basses-no change. I hooked up my old preamp and the static stopped. I was truly disappointed, thinking it was damaged during shipping. The preamp was packaged great, and arrived in pristine condition. Before calling BBE, I moved the preamp from sitting directly on top of the power amp to the top of my 8 space rack and the noise stopped! I was about to order a 4 space rack, but if these two won't play nice together it won't work. Any suggestions? Both the amp and preamp are plugged into a very nice grounded power strip, that has never been a problem. Thanks for your suggestions.