1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

preamp and power amp under 2000

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bass_extremes, Apr 17, 2006.

1. bass_extremes

bass_extremes

Jul 9, 2005
    Hey everyone, ive been thinking about getting a pre and power amp setup. it would be portable because I wouldnt have to take my cabs to gigs some I could get use my pre and for outdoor gigs I would have enough power for it. but I dont know what I want to get I want to keep it under 2000 dollars canadian. So far I been thinking about getting a alembic f-x1 and a qsc or stewart power amp. I dont know how much this would run for yet though. Do you guys have any recomendations I want to have a nice warm, fat, punchy round tone most of the time but I want a flexible enough eq so I will be able to get to other tones if I need to. for the power amp I want one that can go loud like 1200watts but goes as low as 200 watt in 8 ohm mode. The amp I been looking at is the qsc plx1202. oh yeah and I would like to now if the setup would sound good at low volumes in church its not very loud so when its quiet I still want it to sound good.

2. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    For that $, you can get most of the pre/power amps out there, new(just do good searches & call around), & still have a nice chunk left. Picking things up used would be a decent amount less.

3. bass_extremes

bass_extremes

Jul 9, 2005
    well bassically I just want to get something that I can get a good round, warm, punchy tone that would be what I use most but I would like to have a flexible enough eq so I would be able to get other tones that I would need like a more trebley punk tone for example. I havent tried to F1X out but ive heard really good things about it so im starting from there

4. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    IMO you're definitely on track. The F1-X is a nice warm sounding pre and the Stewart and QSC amps would be my first choices. You may want to consider a Demeter HPB-1 pre also. I actually prefer the sound of the Demeter 201S but it lacks the EQ capability of the HBP-1 pre. I found that the Demeter pre's cut better live (better control of mids). I'd also give the edge to the QSC over the Stewart amps only because I got burned a few times with the time delay start-up of the Stewart amps (if power goes out momentarily it'll be about 25-30 seconds before you get bass amplification). For a little cash more I'd also go with the PLX1602 over the 1202. IMO it's better to have the extra headroom (same weight).

Just my 2 cents worth.........:)

5. 7thbass

7thbass

Nov 21, 2003
    Houston, Tx
    +1

6. Lonnybass

Lonnybass Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2000
    San Diego
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    If it's warm, punchy and fat you are looking for, the F-1X will give it to you like you wouldn't believe. It can be kind of limiting if you like making drastic EQ changes, but that's as simple as adding an EQ into the rack (that's what I did!). Tonal heaven.

Lonnybass