Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Preamp and power amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by marineman227, Mar 13, 2004.

1. I was just wondering what they are and why you would use them? Are they used in combination to eliminate the head or what? I've always just played my little combo but want to get moving into a larger setup now and don't know what those are. Thanks for the help

2. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

a preamp and power amp are the main components of an amp head. preamp adjusts (or provides) the tone, the power amp supplies the power.

the reason people use them is b/c they allow you to be more flexible than any one piece amp head. you can change out the preamp if you don't like it. if you need more power you can get another cab, switch from stereo to mono, or many other options with a power amp.

also power amps are usually more powerful than any one piece amp head.

3. Thanks for the info. Sounds like a good idea then, what are some good power and pre amps and about how much can i expect to spend on a comparable setup to the Ampeg SVT 4pro head thanks

4. Acepiloto

Acepiloto

Aug 25, 2000
    I have basically a SVT4 set up. I have the Ampeg SVP Pro, I bought used for $350 ($500 new). And a Carvin DCM 1500 W amp, I bought new for $400, so $750 total (or $900 new). I think that the SVT4 goes for about $1200 new, so you can save $300, or even more if you buy used.

5. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    Check out the Crest LT series amps. Probably the best bang for the buck in my opinion. The New Pro series is suppose to be amazing, but I haven't purchased one for the shop yet to give it a run through.

I know there are a few gusy here that can help out on the Pro series. I believe Mark from Accugroove uses one.

Power amp and Preamp is the way to go and won't cost you any more, and more then likely cost you less with a better amp section then any head unit has in production!

6. for a power amp I would recomend the QSC plx series or the rmx series. Great power amps. For a pre-amp i like the ampeg SVP pro.