Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Preamp and Poweramp Clipping problems - SWR Workingpro 700

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tony G, Feb 18, 2006.

1. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I think something might be wrong with my amp. In the directions it says to set your gain untill you just start to clip the preamp when you are playing your loudest. I kind of remember it cliping when I first got it, but I can't get it to clip at all anymore. However, it does seem pretty easy to clip the power amp, which the manual says is bad for the amp under extended periods. If I put the limiter on, it keeps the power amp from clipping, but I'm not a big fan of using the limiter.

The online manual for this amp in PDF format is here: http://www.swrsound.com/support/manuals/pdfs/wpamp_om.PDF

Anybody know what is going on? Did I somehow wreck the amp?

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    still looking for any help I can get on this...

3. sublimate

sublimate

Jan 12, 2006
    1. Make sure the clipping LED still works. Turn the master all the way down and turn your bass all the way up (plug into the passive input even if you have an active bass, the active input is only for really high output basses). Then turn up the gain and the LED should light when you play hard. Note that the EQ (including the enhancer) also affect the preamp clip, so turn them up too if you need to. If you can't get the clip LED to light then it's probably broken, but if it does light then it's probably fine.

2. The limiter is soft, so the limiter LED will light even if it's not doing really anything to your sound. I just put it on but keep it low (like 10 o'clock) so it provides some protection for a damaging transient. But it really doesn't have any effect on the sound (easy to check by pulling out the knob to defeat, you won't hear a diff).

4. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    thanks for the info.