Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

preamp, bart vs aguilar

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Eilif, Jul 25, 2005.

1. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    I am looking for the basic tonal differences between bartolini and aguilar onboard preamps. I am looking to add an onboard preamp to a 5 string jazz. that is currenly passive

2. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    There is NO comparison. I have a bart in my Lakland and an Aggie in my Dingwall. Both three bands. The Aggie is MUCH more powerful. The bass boost gives a HUGE BASS BOOST! On the bart, boosting the bast beyond a certain point just gives you more boom, where the Aggie gives huge rich bass tones. The center freq of the mid and trebble on the Aggie are to my taste, a little too high (and also both very powerful). I actually cut them. The aggie is also much more 'musical' and 'hi-fi', making big changes in your tone and volume on the fly in a live setting. I can't speak for the aggie 2-band. Get the three if it will fit in your fender. Just my 2 cents. :hyper:

3. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    +1000!! I have both ag and bart preamps in both 2 and 3 band. The aguilar 3 band was alot more impressive than I thought it would be. The aggie two band is OK, still not crazy about the treble boost. I just put a obp3 in my homemade jazz bass with bassline hotstacks. I used a stacked 500k pot, used the stacked bass treble and used the mid control. Everything was able to fit under the control plate.

4. Personally, I prefer the Bart to the Aggie. That may be partly because I've had lots of basses with Bart preamps and am more used to them, but I prefer the voicings of the Bart EQ points (especially with the switchable mids) to the Aggie's--it just seems really easy to make things sound "over-EQ'ed" with the Aggie.

Also, the Aggie is a unity-gain pre, which means that with the EQ flat, the output from the pickups is not boosted at all, whereas the Bart gives you the option to bump up the output to compensate for pickups that aren't as hot, or simply to give a stringer signal going into the amp.

My $.02,
    Mike

5. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    IF I isntalled Bart pickups, should I get the Bart preamp?