1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

preamp blown on bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by banjoman, Nov 12, 2018.

1. banjoman

banjoman

Nov 12, 2018
    I have a 5 month old Schecter omen bass, and it suddenly stopped working. I took it guitar center where I bought it and the tech said the preamp was blown. I don't know what I could have done to do that...I just plug it into the $100 bass amp and play. I think it must have been faulty. But my question is whether I could have done something to blow it out...how can you blow one out? Any ideas?

2. putting the battery in backwards will do it
    There's no warranty?

3. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    Did you check the battery?

4. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Don't put much (any, really) trust in what he/she said.

It's not easy installing a 9V battery backwards given its different size terminals.

As micguy asked - how's the battery life?

If the preamp is really blown and there is no warranty with the bass (did you buy it brand new or secondhand?) you could try wiring the pickups passively and find out if it doesn't, actually, sound better that way, perhaps?

mcnach likes this.
  5. Most pre's have a diode in them to prevent backwards battery damage. But maybe.

john m likes this.
  6. I've read about it happening too many times for it to be most of them.
    Maybe 49%... maybe...

rtav likes this.
  7. Maybe it's the inexpensive OEM ones. I'm pretty sure all the good-quality aftermarket ones are immune.

8. The majority (most) are OEM cheapos.
    if we're basing this on quantity sold

9. banjoman

banjoman

Nov 12, 2018
    Thanks for all of your quick replies (my first time posting). I don't think I put it in backwards, but then again, I have no memory either way.

10. Well it would have to be plugged in for a reverse battery to damage anything. Most people would unplug before changing the battery, I'd think.

And as others have said it's common practise to use a diode for reverse polarity protection these days. Although that wasn't always the case for onboard preamps.

IME, its pretty rare that preamps die. It's almost always a faulty jack, battery clip, pot, switch etc. Or a loose wire or short.

Passinwind, Crater and basscapes like this.
  11. nilorius

nilorius

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    I don't think you will resolve the problem this way. What did the master said to you after he told it was blown away? If he stays out of the game, then buy some similar electronics and try to install them correctly and live further.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
  12. Nevada Pete

Nevada Pete Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2016
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    The tech at GC diagnosed the problem, but offered no solution?

I gave up on taking gear to GC for repair a long time ago. The last time I was there they had no repair department. Which is a good thing, IMHO. I think its time for a second opinion.

Aqualung60 likes this.
  13. Well, my SR605 started cutting out on me. I took it guitar center. Apparently, it just had a few bad solder joints. Done deal. But he said at first that it was probably the pre-amp. Then he checked it out, and just hit the bad spots. Been working great since.

14. HarveyRobertson

HarveyRobertson

Apr 3, 2018
    You can't put a 9v battery in wrong, that's like putting a square block into a round hole.

Most likely a poor soldering job or just a junk pre.

15. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Depends on the battery holder. Some of the cheap ones where you just drop a battery in aren’t keyed in any way. They just have two identical slots and flat contact tabs for the connection. Easy to reverse battery leads with one of those.

Battery makers could have offset the terminals when they first came up with the 9V can packaging. That would have largely prevented lead reversal since they alread keyed the tips for the standard snap connectors. But so it goes.

Guess they never envisioned a drop in battery door.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
  16. RyanOh

RyanOh Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

None of my Schecters could allow a reversed battery, but it's a known issue on some Fender Jazz bass 24 FSR's -- the battery is inserted into a box containing flat metal ends that immediately kill the electronics if reversed. So, it can happen.

I don't have an Omen. I'd definitely get a second opinion and contact Schecter if it's new.

Best case: Bad battery or wiring/solder issue.
    Worst case: Replace bad active electronics.

Aqualung60 likes this.
  17. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    Usually this is protected (from us low functioning bassists) with a diode.

40Hz likes this.
  18. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    ^this^

RyanOh likes this.
  19. Wanker_Joe

Wanker_Joe

Sep 26, 2017
    That sucks. I've had a pre go on one of my basses. But! Look upon this as an opportunity! So many different preamps out there offering you so many different ways to modify your sound! You have the perfect "excuse" to try something cool and new that you might have had your eye on.

20. banjoman

banjoman

Nov 12, 2018
    I greatly appreciate all of the replies. The knowledge here is fantastic.

gepettus and RyanOh like this.