1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

preamp + boost? + poweramp advice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by patrickj, Jul 3, 2017.

1. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Ellicott City, MD
    Endorsing: Spector Bass Guitars
    I'm completely rethinking my rig. Bear with me.

[at it's simplest...]
    I run a pedal preamp (BDI21) into a power amp (nuke3000). With just those two components the volume is fairly low, so I add in a rack compressor (Output knob adds up to +15dB). Volume issues are gone, no clipping anywhere, everything seems fine.

Is this the right way of doing things? I assume there's some sort of impedance? imbalance between the preamp and power amp. What goes in the middle that matches the two properly?

2. Noylin

Noylin

May 28, 2014
    Cuse
    I'd guess it's a sensitivity issue - the pedal can't fully drive the amp, but the compressor can. That's a fine way of doing things... If you wanted to cut out the compressor, you'd need to switch power amps to something easier to drive (greater sensitivity, which is a lower voltage number), like a crest prolite.

See the second half of this article: Preamps Explained

BasturdBlaster likes this.
  3. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Ellicott City, MD
    Endorsing: Spector Bass Guitars
  4. Noylin

Noylin

May 28, 2014
    Cuse
    Yes, the Art would get you there

patrickj likes this.
  5. nomeX

nomeX

Nov 26, 2011
    H-Town
    I'm currently running a Peavey Max Preamp into a Peavey Classic 60/60 biamped to a Classic 410e for highs and GK MBE 212 full range. I think I will add a rack compressor, since I'm going rack, anyway. I am totally sold on a 6U rack rig now. My problem is all this Tube Preamp GAS! I just got a Crate TDP-1, BK Tube Driver and Blue Tube. I'm loving my rig right now, but the funny thing is, I sound the same, or can dial in my setting on all my rigs to sound the same-- I'm happy and worried at the same time.

patrickj likes this.
  6. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Northumberland, UK
    In my search for something to go between my mxr pedal and my qsc amp I ended up with a Presonus Studio Channel. A preamp or channel strip such as that would be the best bet.

patrickj and BasturdBlaster like this.
  7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 4, 2021