Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Preamp, brands

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by inazone, Nov 28, 2003.

1. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    Im having trouble finding a Trace Elliot GP12 smx preamp, if they even made one. Ive seen the GP7 and 11 but not the 12. What other preamp would come close in that sound? I would think the GP11 but havent played one. I have the Trace head but would like to find that Trace sound in a pre. Thanks for your help.

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i've heard the Ashdown RPM-1 spoken in the same breath as the TE preamp. has its similar growl, but that's about it. still, the RPM is a killer preamp.

btw, try listening to the samples on Vanselus & Josh's very cool, www.basstasters.com

lots of preamps to choose from.

3. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    I have the ashdown rpm-1 evo II and eden wp100 pre. The ashdown isnt the same at all. Good sounds in there but it really doesnt sound like a trace. Whith the eden I can get close but there is something missing arround 1.3-2.6 khz and 60-100 hz. What ever it is it sounds GREAT when I use the trace head with berg 322 and nv610. It cuts through and has pounding lows in the mix. I just need more power. Thanks joker for your reply.

4. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    You might want to check out an Ag DB680.