1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Preamp buzz problem

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by el_Kabong, Dec 27, 2006.

1. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    The glock preamp I recently put in my 5594 has decided to buzz with the bridge pickup. It didn't buzz initially so I'm at a bit of a loss to know what's changed. I tried shielding the bridge pickup cavity and running an earth wire though to the preamp cavity. It's quiet in passive mode, no matter how the pickup is set, so I'm thinking the shielding is ok. In active, it's quiet when the bridge pickup is in parallel, buzzes a bit in single coil and buzzes a lot in series mode. I'm stuck, any hints?

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Well you've narrowed it down to active bridge function so that circuit is the one to examine first. I'm assuming the control bay is shielded so, among other things, any ball of solder dropped into the cavity that rolled under a pot lug could create the issue. I always put a strip of electrical tape between any hot lug and foil shielding since one of the things foil cavities do best is short hot leads.

This thread may be useful:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=276127

3. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    Thanks for the tips Luknfur. The problem seems to have been a poor bridge earth. Lakland just lay the earth wire on top of the body and then screw the bridge down on top of it. I pulled the bridge off and cleaned it up and it's pretty good now. I don't really understand why I got the exact symptoms I got ( I would have thought it would buzz all the time) but at least its playable again!