Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Preamp Bypass switch

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by cgordonfreeman, Mar 11, 2003.

1. I have a bass with EMG P/J pickups and a BQS Control Preamp + seperate voulume controls for each pickup.I was wondering if there was any way I could wire in a switch so that it totally bypassed the preamp. Heres the way I want the switch: Preamp on/Preamp off, P on/Preamp off J on.

Any Ideas?

2. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    You'll definitely have better luck with a preamp on/off switch that cuts both PUs from the pre. You could do that with one push/pull volume pot on one of the volume knobs.

If you wanted to do a preamp bypass function on both PUs, you'd need each PU wired to a push/pull 25k pot. Then it would be a matter of the exact wiring, which escapes me right now. Basically, you'd have each PU running through the pre when the switches are down. If wired right, you could do a bypass for each pickup separately when you pull up.

Nothing's impossible, I'll say that. I'm just blanking on the exact procedure.