preamp choice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by air_leech, Jan 13, 2002.

1. air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    I know I said numerous time that I hate it when people ask: "which gizmothingie is best?"

but I've been extremely curious as to the likes of a few tube preamps I saw recently used on the net that gave me GAS.
    so I'd like to hear comments from people who tried the Demeter VTBP 201, SWR I.O.D and the Ampeg SVP-Pro.

if any of you tried more than one of the above, which would you prefer to own and why?

*I'm well aware that these are personal prefrences which may not apply to everyone
  2. It's not on your list but I've got an Avalon U5 direct box. It can be used as either a direct box or a pre-amp. The sound is very clean. And despite the fact that it's solid state, it's also very warm.

When you play live, you can go into your amp, and directly into the house P.A.

Very nice piece of equipment.
  3. FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    I own an ampeg svp-pro, and when i bought it I was comparing with the SWR IOD.

IMO, the ampeg does warmth and distortion better, but the IOD is cleaner. So if you want the ability to have a nice clean signal, and then go distorted, get the iod, but if you want a solid, gritty tone, and don't need go go super hi-fi clean, go w/ ampeg.
  4. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    the IOD has the ability to sound super hi fi, warm and fat, and gritty, all in varying degrees at different times.

i use mine at about 40% hi-fi, 60% warm and fat.

i don't really like ampeg stuff...but that doesn't mean you won't.

5. I have an Alembic F-1X now, and an SWR IOD on the way to me in the mail.

The F-1X has very clean, pure and fat tone. It is built on the Fender Showman tone stack, and has tons of bass and treble, but no mids. This is the classic Smiley Face EQ.

Link to Alembic F-1X Tone Stack at 10-10-10

The Showman/Alembic tone circuit is flat at 0-10-0, and in maximum V shaped EQ at 10-10-10 as shown above. The controls interact with each other, and are somewhat "backwards" from active controls. Turning the Bass/Treble to zero is Full Cut, and with Mids at 10, this is the most Mids you can get. If you have a loud cabinet without a lot of low end, this is perfect. IMO, Fender designed this cabinet for speakers of the day, which had little bottom or top end.

The downside to the Alembic is, the XLR (DI) appears to put out less voltage than the unbalanced LINE OUT jacks. I like to run a balanced chain and use the XLR, but I had to give up. Using the unbalanced 1/4" LINE OUT jack produces much more loudness from the power amp. I suspect the reduced output is to mate more easily with a mixing board.

The SWR IOD has two XLR Outs, one for the mixer, the other is a full strength (+24dBu) balanced to drive a power amp. Since I am a bi-amper, and want to use balanced Out, this is perfect for me. The IOD also has solid state tone controls that both Boost and Cut. I've never heard an IOD, so I'm buying it on faith, but I suspect it will have more clarity ("HiFi") than the Alembic. In Clean mode, I want a preamp that will reproduce all the tone of my bass, and not contribute coloration.