1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

preamp choices for a jazz

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by randysmojo, Dec 7, 2011.

1. randysmojo

randysmojo

Jan 14, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I have got my Fender Jazz running the way I want with Dimarzio Ultra Jazz pu's. I would like to retain the tones I get with the passive electronics, but also be able to adjust it more, so my question is what preamp retains the best natural tone when flat, but let's you add? A bypass might be the best way, but will that effect volume levels much? I've seen Aguilar, Audere, Bartolini, and I'm sure there are several others out there. What do you suggest?

2. deepestend

deepestend Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 21, 2003
    Brooklyn via Austin and NOLA
    Guitar/Bass Builder and Social Media at Sadowsky
    People seem to love the Audere for exactly this application: retaining the passive tones. I have one on the way.

3. chilievans

chilievans

Sep 5, 2010
    John East J-Retro.
    I have one on my Shuker jazz and its great

4. I have the JZ3 in my Jazz V and love it. I was worried about losing that "Jazz bass mojo," but it doesn't seem to color the tone at all. Still sounds just like my Jazz bass. :)

Chilie, I thought about trying the J-Retro, but I heard it has a bit of an EQ scoop even when set flat... Can you offer any input on that?

5sg.

5. randysmojo

randysmojo

Jan 14, 2008
    Austin, TX
    The John East website does say that it has an instant contour to the tone giving "color" to it. The Audere sounds interesting. Is there a passive bypass on the Audere? Does the Audere have middle detentes on the knobs for flat settings? That would probably be the best bet I've heard so far.

6. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    No bypass and yes to center detents. Incredibly flexible preamp.

7. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    I've had different preamps in different J and P basses (East, Sadowsky, K. Armstrong, Aguilar). None of them 'kept' the passive vibe, due to lowering the impedance/load, I suppose.

IMHO floor preamps are the way to go, as they come after your 10' cable.
    My favourite is the RMI Basswitch (clean channel for my active Sadowsky, eq channel for my passive Nordy VPJ5 and my Lakie DJ5)