Preamp Comparison

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rockindoc, Feb 14, 2002.

1. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    Anyone have an opinion on Ampeg's SVP-PRO vs. SVP-BSP?
  2. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    Does anyone even OWN one?
  3. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    Best thing I have ever bought.
  4. PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Apparently the SVP-PRO is that exact same preamp as the ones in the PRO series amplifiers!! Going by that ill say that they are FANTASTIC!!
  5. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    Which one, Thunder?
  6. They are really different. What kind of tone are you going after? The BSP is better for distorted sounds.
  7. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    Thanks Sapo. I'm not looking for distortion, but the BSP does have a "clean" channel. The two preamps appear to be priced about the same, but the BSP weighs 26 lbs vs. 9lbs for the PRO. I wondered where that extra 17lbs is! The BSP does appear to have more features (compressor, noise gate, dual channels), but no graphic EQ (it has sweepable mid control) and only 1 tube vs. 5 on the PRO. Both are in my price range. I'm new to separate components, and just looking for some preamp advice, and no, I can't afford an Aguilar, at least that's what my wife says. Thanks. rd
  8. FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    the bsp was designed by billy sheenan (sp.) who used to play 2 different SVT's One distorted and once clean. The BSP allows you to switch from distorted to clean sounds, as well as blend the two.

I own an SVP-Pro, and when i bought it i messed around with the BSP a lot too. The SVP-Pro was my choice because i liked the clean/gritty sound better. It's capable of getting full blown distortion, but it can't switch from clean. IMO the PRO can only do one sound at a time, but it does both sounds better than the BSP. The footswitchable graphic EQ on the PRO has proven quite useful to me too. It can work as an eq, or simply a signal boost...

ofcourse this is just me.. so check them both out.
  9. The Ampeg site is incorrect--both preamps weigh about the same. If you are not into distortion, then I'd opt for the Pro.

The BSP works best when both channels are run together giving you a layered sound...but its still pretty overdriven sounding. Its clean channel doesn't sound anywhere near as good as the Pro's tone, IMO. The BSP's distortion channel is its main selling point...but it can take some tweaking to dial in the perfect sound.
  10. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    Thanks for the input, everyone. rd
  11. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Actually you can get a new Aguilar DB 659 for around $600.00. I think that the Ampeg preamps are around $500.00.