preamp/DI box -> driving a power amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by etnops, Nov 6, 2005.

1. etnops

Nov 6, 2005
    hey guys. this looks like the right place to ask this question. :)

i haven't played live for about 5yrs or so, and the boys and i are playing an all-stars show in about a month. problem is, i've got half of a live bass rig.

i've got a straight power amp, the bass, and a bass cabinet - put no preamp.

i'm looking for a floor/stompbox unit that will give me voltage gain, so i can drive the power amp.
    i've looked at the sansamp DI box, and the MXR DI/distortion box. also saw a cheap behringer DI/modeler.
    they've all got gain, bass/treble, and distortion or modeling capabilities...but what i'm looking for, is if these units will actually amplify the bass input. i wish these mfgs would post specs like output impedance, gain and such.

what is an effective, cheap solution for my situation? :) i just want to plug into my power amp and jam. :bassist:

any help you guys could lend would be much appreciated. thanks in advance.
  2. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    The newer SABDDI's drive a power amp just fine. Also will drive in bypass mode in case you don't want the coloration. Although I find the peizo/clean setting to be fairly useful if you aren't looking for massive tube emulation. Fairly reasonably priced for a DI sized preamp.
  3. Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ

ebay has presonus tube preamps for under 50 bucks regularly. they are pretty too. and small.

the sansamp box will work as well, so i have been told.
  4. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I happen to own both of these preamps. The presonus sounds good, but I've found it to have too little output to effectively drive a power amp. Just my experience.
  5. etnops

Nov 6, 2005
    cool. thanks, guys. :)

the mxr mx80 is a few $ cheaper than the sansamp, and it looks like it does a little more. does anyone have experience with this piece?
  6. msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Do a search in the Effects forum. This question has been asked and answered there more than once. :)
  7. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    The m-80 will not drive a poweramp very well. I haven't used the new sansamps.
  8. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I have owned both and, while both are quite well made, they are different beasts altogether, tone-wise.

I never liked the tone of the MXR, but that's due to my personal preferences. I sold it and bought the SABDDI and I've been happy as hell with it.

My suggestion is to try both and decide which one you like. If you are looking for footpedal pres, they are both great choices.
  9. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    In my case, for weight savings, I only use pedal sized "preamps" to drive my 600w AI Focus SA poweramp.

Here are the ones that I know will do it:

-sansamp bass driver (newer one) ~~~0dbv (must be ac powered. using it battery powered causes distortion.)

-Fishman Pro Platinum bass Eq ~~~+ 10dbv

-Boss EQ20 ~~~+4dbv (this is what I use currently... w/ 10 band eq tone shaping and 9 presets its hard to beat... no di though)

-Art Tube pre ~~~ dont know the dbv but I heard it is very hot

-my behringer UB1202 mixer does it very well as well with a +22 dbv (and no noise as one might expect)
  10. etnops

Nov 6, 2005
    thanks for the responses, everyone!!!

i did some more extensive research today, and found that the best solution for me would be a behringer bass v-amp. it has +20dBu of gain, and plenty of effects/bells and whistles. the highest gain stand-alone unit i found other than the behringer, is the boss EQ20.

thanks again, everyone! much appreciated.