1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Preamp/DI pedal questions

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ChefKen, Apr 30, 2015.

1. ChefKen

ChefKen Supporting Member

Aug 30, 2014
    NW CT
    I am considering a DI box like a Samsamp or Darkglass. I want to be able to use it to add dirt...I am leaning towards the Vintage Deluxe for that reason. However. Can you use the EQ without engaging the dirt? Will the Tech 21 Samsamp products allow you to do this? The only Di box i tried was the MXR. It functioned exactly like I want but I did not like the overdrive.

This: Tech 21 SansAmp Bass Driver | Sweetwater.com

I am open to other suggestions but am hoping to use the pedal for tone and EQ and overdrive when I want it. I would like to eliminate the Bass Soul Food on my board.

Open to suggestions of course!!!! Please.

2. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Yes, you can use the DI with both these pedals without the dirt engaged. As long as the dirt/gain is dialed down/out. On the DG stuff though, no matter what, I believe the DI will pick up the EQ no matter what. Not sure if thats true with the Sansamp stuff.

I hear that DG maybe be making an EQ/DI (no dirt in it) so maybe wait a little and just get say a regular VMT or something. There are tons of options out there right now. I just know DG stuff and love their stuff. I use the B7K myself. What a great pedal. But the drive is all or nothing so I run mine clean and get my OD needs elsewhere.

I know that that new Ampeg Scrambler preamp/DI has a separate drive channel. So you can use the pedal clean and kick the dirt on when you need it. And it has that lovely Ampeg tone. I heard its pretty good so far.

3. Noylin

Noylin Supporting Member

May 28, 2014
    Cuse
    For Darkglass if you want to turn dirt on/off with the pedal, you'll be turning the EQ on/off with it. The DI works whether the pedal is on or off. Lots of people would love a 2 channel Darkglass preamp...

The Ampeg Scrambler has the separate footswitch for turning on the dirt.

4. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    The Sansamp DI is always active regardless of the switch position, so it can be used a stomp box for dirt if you want.

5. ChefKen

Aug 30, 2014
    NW CT
    So you can run it clean with EQ and then engage the overdrive with the footswitch?

6. BazzTard

BazzTard Banned

the Programmable BDDI has three presets, you can have all three totally clean without any OD if you want, you can turn off the amp sampling too. So you could have three different EQ presets,with or without OD and amp sampling. A very useful pedal

7. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    No I believe it is either on or off. In other words, you dial in the dirt as part of the overall EQ'ing. It doesn't have a separate distortion feature. You're either using the total EQ, or not using it all.

Bazztard made a good suggestion with regards to using the programmable BDDI. Have your dirt cake, and eat it too.

8. jimfist

jimfist "Cling tenaciously to my buttocks!" Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Apologies for sounding like a broken record....ZOOM B-3. Don't think of it as a mult-fx pedal. Think of it as a full-featured programmable direct box.

warrplayer and kapaauguy like this.
  9. tech21nyc

tech21nyc Commercial User

Aug 17, 2010
    Manufacturer: Tech 21
    I'm a little confused. You mention DI. Are you going to be using the pedal as a DI or a stomp box into an amp? It sounds like you would need to use either our Programmable Bass Driver or the Bass Driver Deluxe. They both have the ability to store presets. On our single pedal DI's the Blend function is not memorized. When the pedal is disengaged you just have a buffered bypass. You can't use the EQ function in bypass and then turn on distortion.

10. ChefKen

Aug 30, 2014
    NW CT
    Thank you. The programmable seems like the best solution. It is just so damn big!