Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

preamp dillema

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by silky smoove, Dec 30, 2004.

1. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Well, I've been GAS'ing for a Gallien-Krueger 2001RBP, and I was just about to buy one.... but I thought I'd ask the pros on talkbass what they think.

I love the GK tone, but am curious as to what are the preferred preamps here on TB. What do you use? What do you like? Assume that price isn't a consideration when recommending (let's say... up to.... $1,000 USD).

2. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I have a Demeter VTBP-201S w/Jan Philips 12AX7WA tubes.
    The way I have it set up, it is smooth and very punchy with a clean, clear tube vibe.

I would also like to try the GK preamp (I like the GK sound as well). If you like the GK sound already, I don't see how you could go wrong with it.

3. silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    ^^^Probably true. I'm very interested in a tube preamp... but ultimately I think that my interest lies only in the novelty having tubes, not necessarily the tone. I do like the no-maintenance concept of a G-K preamp.

I'd be using this as a pre/power setup. My power needs don't really merit buying the full on 2001RB head, so the preamp and a smaller QSC power amp will suit me just fine, and would be ultimately more cost effective. Anyone else?

4. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    The 2001RBP is relatively new, not many around here have it - but there are some who do have one.
    If you want a pre/power setup, but with less power than the 2001 RB, then why not get a used 1001 RB-II?
    2001 RBP (new -> hard to find used; pricy) + good power amp + rack is more in weight and price than a used 1001 RB-II; it's just more flexible (easier to replace components).
    Just my thoughts and $0.02

5. silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    ^^^I was under the impression that the 1001 had a different preamp than the 2001. I was also lead to believe that the sound difference was quite noticeable.

6. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Might be... I've not yet heard a 2001.
    Anyway, it can't be bad, either ;)

7. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    ---bumping this up---

Anyone own or tried out the 2001RBP preamp???

8. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Here's a few 2001RBP owners I've found from doing a search (if they don't chime in, you might want to PM them):
    jonathanl,
    sdguyman,
    &
    Schwinn.

9. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    hey there, i didnt know gk made a pre.
    or did i not read this careful?

anyhow, don't buy tube just for the novelty, buy what you buy for the sound. Neve aint got no tubes, and neither does AMP or Thunderfunk. All sound great. (ICYDK, Neve are available only as chopped out board channels and such, but today's neve knock offs are good. AMP and Thunderfunk are head only.) Anyhow, the point is, you have to listen to them. WWW.basstasters.com is cool for some basic ideas, but you really have to go try them with your bass, your cabinet, and your poweramp/the power section of your head.