Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Preamp: Eden Sound

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by huskies90, Jun 12, 2005.

1. huskies90

huskies90

May 17, 2004
    I am going to a pre/power amp set up and I really dig the Eden sound but I am looking for a single rack space preamp. So, in your experience, what preamp out there is close in sound to the Navigator?

2. I'm going to go way out on a limb here and say the Eden Navigator. I've always had the best success getting the sound I wanted by buying the gear I wanted and then getting a rack to fit it...not the other way round.

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    hmmmmmmm

i'm not sure.

I've tried a bunch and i cant think of a 1u preamp that i'd call a dupe for the eden sound.

I am a big fan of the eden tone and actually like both the alembic F-1X and Demeter 201s a little better than it. Both units have passive tone controls with some pretty impressive range, but they're not the Eq sections of the eden.

Personally, If it ain't broke, don't fix it. a 4 space rack isnt all that big.

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    That is a tough call. I'd say that the Demeter HBP-1 might be the closest thing, though the 201s is also in the same general ballpark. Although you might not think of the DB 659 as sounding much like an Eden, I was actually able to dial in a tone on my 659 that was pretty close to the sound of my Navigator with the Enhance knob set at 9 o'clock, and all tone controls flat (which is how I normally run it). The new Phil Jones bass preamp also looks like it's going to be a Swiss army knife, much like the Navigator, but from what I hear, they are at least sixty days from production.

Tom.

5. huskies90

huskies90

May 17, 2004

Well, although the rack size is part of the equation the other is that the Navigator has a ton of features that I don't need. Personally, I am looking for something more basic because I am a set it and forget it type of player, so really I am just looking for that tone.

6. Ahhh, that's very different and I agree that simplicity is a very good thing applied in the right places. The F-1X has been suggested and it's simply a marvelous preamp, but you're not going to nail the Eden sound with it so I think you can rule it out. I have one and I love it to death. It nails the vintage Fender tone and does it superbly, but versitile is not a word I'd use to describe the F-1X. You could come close with a Bass Pod XT, but there goes simplicity out the window and you might as well buy the Navigator. I don't know what else to tell you cept good luck. I personally don't know of a pre that'll fit the bill.

7. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    in that case i strongly reccomend the alembic or the demeter, although i personally like the 201s better than the hbp1 despite the extra eq on the hbp1

the alembic has a bit more of a steep learning curve as the tone is the fender passive interactive (RCA-"tom walker design") tone stack. The controls are as close as they'll get to "flat at 2-10-2 (knob #'s not clock positions), with the bright and deep switches off. Every time you adjust a knob or switch on the alembic it affects what the other controls do to an extent. The upside is once you master the less than intuitive nature of the controls, you have a very wide amount of control over your sound and you'll soon find 2 or 3 settings you like and then you can "set and forget".

the demeter is pretty much flat with all the controls at 12 o'clock, but with the presence control all the way to the left (as it is boost only), and the bright switch off. Flipping the frequency selector switch from 120 HZ to 60 HZ on the demeter's bass control actually affects the tone with the bass knob set "flat" IMO. That eq also has a great amount of range despite being passive once you get over the fact that you can trun the knobs almost all the way up or down and still get a usable tone (not so on the eden units)

8. Eden should design a one rack space preamp using the Time Traveler preamp design.

Panel-wise, that would fit on 1U.

9. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Is there a reason you're not looking at a WT-800 head?

10. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Wt800 or 550 in two spaces. -mission accomplished

11. huskies90

huskies90

May 17, 2004
    I agree. That seems to make sense and would be perfect for me.

12. huskies90

huskies90

May 17, 2004
    I was going back and forth between a WT800/550 and a pre/power amp set up. I thought the pre/power amp would give me more options but either of those two would have certainly met my needs.

13. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    The new WT-800B is the ticket!! 1100 watts @ 4 ohms bridged!! 2 rack spaces, 26 lbs!

14. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    personally i would lean towards the 550 unless you have a need for a stereo rig. With 2 8 ohm cabs, the 500 or so watts from the 550 will be about equal to the volume from the 270+270 watts or so running the 800 into those 2 cabs in stereo. Plus the small size and nifty rack bag for the 550 is very cool and the 550 does a 2 ohm load (which was my major beef with the 400 as it would only handle 4 ohms minimum)

15. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    In the days of the old WT-800 I would agree with you, but the new WT-800B goes to 4 ohms bridged and pumps 1100 watts, 880 watts @ 8 ohms. Only 6 lbs heavier and $400 more for a killer rig!

16. huskies90

huskies90

May 17, 2004
    I already picked up the power amp so for now, I am going with a pre/power amp set up.

17. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    Love my navigator. Tried the Demeter 201s & hated it with a passion. Once you have a semi parametric EQ & you see the possibilites you never go back. I have to try the Demeter HBP-1 now

18. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    IMO. Your just best going with a navigator.. It can't be that much of a hassle can it? It's pretty plug and play, but does have flexibility too. Find a setting that you really like, and leave it there, simple.