1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Preamp for a G&L L-2500 Tribute

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by mettec, Jul 22, 2016.

1. mettec

mettec

Aug 22, 2005
    Minneapolis
    Hello,
    I have a G&L L-2500 Tribute series bass and looking to upgrade the preamp. I was looking into a Audere with stacked volume, stacked Hi & Lo Mids, and stacked bass & treble controls but not sure what other pre might work. If I get a different pre, can I still utilize the 2 series/parallel toggle switches as well as the passive/active switch?

2. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    IMO don't even waste your time. The G&L MFD pickups are so strongly voiced that changing the preamp won't change the sound. And trust me, I tried! lol

I installed a Demeter, Aguilar and Bart in one of my former G&L 2500 basses and it did little to nothing to change the sound of the bass. In the end I reinstalled the factory pre. That's just how G&L's sound best. You either love them or hate them. But you can't change them ....... Unless you change the pickups.:) .... and then good luck finding on that fits the routing footprint!

Torrente Cro likes this.
  3. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Put an EMG BTC in my 1505 and the series / parallel and active / passive switches still functioned. However, the bass and treble controls no longer worked when in passive mode. I went with the EMG 'cuz they're dirt cheap and utilize a DIP-switch treble freq selector which helps reign in the nasalness in the mids.

Riis

4. mettec

mettec

Aug 22, 2005
    Minneapolis
    I am not a fan of EMG preamps. Had them in both of my Modulus Quantum basses and both took a crap on me so I switched them to Aguilar pre's .Still have the EMG DC pups in both of them which I like.

5. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Never heard that one before. I've installed two and one came stock on my NS Design CR5 and Dingwall Combustion.

Riis