1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Preamp for a PJ

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by NKBassman, Feb 26, 2013.

1. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    I'm looking to finally replace the preamp in my Fender P Lyte Deluxe. This was the first bass I ever bought and I've decided I can't sell it. Unfortunately I've become spoiled with other basses and it now sounds like crap by comparison. Its my opinion that the preamp is the weakest link by far in this bass.

Anyway, I'm looking for suggestions for something versatile (jack of most trades) and fat (phat) sounding, but that will still allow it to sound like a P bass at the end of the day. I also want to take advantage of the 5 knob holes I have available.

I'll also probably be trying out a Dimarzio Area P when I pull it apart.

I'm sort of considering the following preamps, but I'm leaning most towards the Nordstrand at the moment, for no particular reason. The Audere looks really nice too, actually, but I just looked at that now for the first time.

Nordy 3B-5b ($225)
    Aguilar OBP-3 ($213)
    Sadowsky onboard pre
    Audere Z-Mode or Classic 4-Band (<$200)

Anyone with experience with any of these have any thoughts?

2. The Diaper Geni

The Diaper Geni Submissive. And loving it. Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2005
    Central Ohio
    I've had the Sadowsky (in pedal form), the Audere (3 band with the Z Switch thing) and the Aguilar (two band). Plus numerous basses w/some variation of the Bart preamp. Never had a Nordy.

I recently got my Lakland Skyline J/P/J installed with a Lakland/Hanson preamp. Love it! My fav onboard preamp to date. The bass is loaded with Hanson pickups: Vintage J single coil, Neo-Punch P, 5% overwound Vintage J single coil.

All I can say is the pre seems to add a little "dirt" or "wooly-ness" to the tone where other pres have not. I have the mid set to factory pre-set (600hz, IIRC?) and it's sounds very good to my ears. Just a hint of mid cuts through without being thin.

I belive they are under $200 from Hanson. Worth checking gout, IMO.

Good luck!

Roccafella likes this.
  3. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    You might also look at the EMG BQS Control. Relatively cheap, good quality, pretty transparent when flat, easy installation.

4. NKBassman

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Does the EMG system work with passive pickups?

5. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    System, no. Control, yes. The only real difference is the value of the volume/blend pots.

6. NKBassman

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    I know the Audere gets a lot of love around here, and I was actually surprised to see how cheap it is.

Anyone ever compare the Z-Mode VS the Classic 4 Band?