Preamp for accentuated lows

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CircleOfCrows, Feb 12, 2021.

1. CircleOfCrows

CircleOfCrows

Mar 28, 2013
    Australia
    Are there any preamps that are considered a "go to" for subby lows. Looking for prominent bottom/Presence in the low mids particularly. Clean or Grimy tones work for me. Prefer rack pre, but open to any options.

2. NigeJ

NigeJ

Jul 23, 2019
    Check any threads about the GED-2112 peeamp.. sure they have something suitable.

3. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    Northern KY
    Cab fan, hobbyist
    IMHO this is in the cab as much if not more than amp or pre.

4. Can your cab reproduce what you want?
    Almost any amp head can produce deeeep lows.

agedhorse and BasturdBlaster like this.
  5. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    My Trace Elliot V-Type and V6 have big fat pillowy lows that are surprisingly clear and focused...sort of an unusual combination. The preamp was offered in rack form.
    image.jpg

Slight variation on the Fender tone stack.

Jeff Scott and BasturdBlaster like this.
  6. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    Very good advice IMO.

S-Bigbottom and BasturdBlaster like this.
  7. CircleOfCrows

CircleOfCrows

Mar 28, 2013
    Australia
    I'm predominantly wanting it for recording purposes at this stage. Direct or with IR. So its about the flavour of the pre right now more than anything. Absolutely valid with cab comments though

8. Michael J Toren

Michael J Toren Supporting Member

Feb 22, 2019
    Los Angeles
    You do have a few options.

The Ashdown preamps (ABM & RPM) have a subharmonic control that functions like low octave pedal. Really thickens the low end.

You can dial monstrous low end on the Fender TBP-1.

If you want to add onto an existing preamp you could pick up an Aphex 104 (w/Big Bottom) or do the Ben Shepherd (Soundgarden) thing and add a DBX 120A which will generate sub harmonics as well.

CircleOfCrows likes this.
  9. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    Out there!
    I was able to get that kind of tone from the two Alembic F-1X preamps I had.

CircleOfCrows, Jeff Bonny and Wasnex like this.
  10. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Inactive

Nov 20, 2000
    Harrison Mills
    Hard to know exactly what will appeal here but the first thing that comes to mind is something like an RMI Sonic Spark that can effectively enhance lows and low mids without the overt loss of clarity that buries you in the mix.

It’s a good idea to work even harder than you already have on achieving as much as you can with the gear you have right now. How you touch the instrument makes a huge difference. If the problem is more with your touch no gear of any sort is likely to be very satisfying. Gear matters a lot but your touch is the most critical part of a great sound. This is the slowest route but possibly the most effective one.

I’d also suggest playing as many different cabinets as you can. The interaction between your bass and how you play it, your amp and a speaker cabinet is complex and takes a lot of experience to start to really understand and then start to zero in on what works for you.

11. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Inactive

Nov 20, 2000
    Harrison Mills
    Hard to know exactly what will appeal here but the first thing that comes to mind is something like an RMI Sonic Spark that can effectively enhance lows and low mids without the overt loss of clarity that buries you in the mix.

It’s a good idea to work even harder than you already have on achieving as much as you can with the gear you have right now. How you touch the instrument makes a huge difference. If the problem is more with your touch no gear of any sort is likely to help much. Gear matters a lot but your touch is the most critical part of a great sound. This is the slowest route but possibly the most effective one.

I’d also suggest playing as many different cabinets as you can. The interaction between your bass and how you play it, your amp and a speaker cabinet is complex and take a lot of experience to start to really understand and then start to zero in on what works for you.

12. rickdog

rickdog Gold Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2010
    I know this sounds counterintuitive - but my experience has been that the first thing to do to get a full-sounding bass track is to reduce the bass EQ when recording. It's easy to saturate the track with lows, forcing the track to be turned down in the final mix.

13. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    Casting kind of an oddball onto the field:
    Fuzzrocious Broke Dick Peanut Gallery.
    It's not exactly clean, but the tonestack is pretty nice. I used it in combo with a LPF to get abysmal lows into my cabs.

14. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    I would suggest that you will have far more adjustability using either the console EQ or software EQ (and compression) for prominent bottom presence. Do you have a pre-amp (either dedicated or front end of an amp) that you like the tone of? I'd think about the baked in tone of the pre and outboard EQ for recording.
    Also, "dubby" can also be a normal thick bass tone with the high end rolled off to some.

wcriley and Omega Monkey like this.
  15. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011

There is some truth to this, but IMHO it's more about the contour of the lows. In other words where the boost occurs, how wide the boost is, and where the HPF kicks in.

I think one of the reasons the lows the V-Types produces are so great is specifically because of the the amp's characteristic low frequency contour.

I also have a Reeve 400 which is a Hiwatt DR405 clone. The Reeve's lows go deeper and are arguably better in some ways, but I like the V-Type lows a bit more.

16. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    Pedals. Like sub n up

17. Dean Markley Preamp DB. It has controls for low mid, bass, and low bass. Designed for double bass it can add huge sub lows without sounding like a bass control cranked too far, which usually adds low mids along with it. I use this pre for getting a wider sound without losing focus. Very nice for fretless bass as well. Ryan