1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Preamp For MXL 603S?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by spikesstickies, Aug 23, 2007.

1. I'm currently using a MXL 603S mounted onto my bridge using the old school method of using elastics. Most of the time I'm using 2 things, the mic which is sent out to the main PA, and a bass max into an ampeg PB250 or an SWR SM550 depending on where I am. Now you could imagine the quality of this is quite terrible and I would like to try a mic only approach. Scanned through a few threads and came across several suggestions, including the ART tube preamps.

So heres my question,
    -Is it possible if I just use a normal DI box, one of those bose boxes, and connect the parallel out (i.e. 1/4") to my amp?
    -What impedance does the preamp buffer the original impedance from the mic into? ( The 603S has an impedance of 150 ohms)
    -Suggestions for possible preamps

Thanks a bunch guys, any comments or opinions are greatly appreciated!

Kenneth

2. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    This might not help all that much, but -

Besides the internal preamp in my Focus 2R, the only (external) mic preamp that I have experience with is the D-TAR Solstice. It's actually a 2 channel preamp / mixer / blender. Works great if you want to blend your mic and your pickup. Lots of output routing options to send individual or blended signals to your amp and/or to the PA. Includes phase reversal on each channel.

I think the posts that I've read in the past re: the ART pre's were that they worked okay. Maybe some concerns about noise or reliability, but I'm not sure 'bout that. You'd have to dig deeper and do some searches maybe. You certainly can't beat the price.

For the "mic only" thing, if you don't dig the rubber band mounting method, you might could try a mic on a stand, or the H-clamp from ExplorAudio. I like the flexibility it provides to try out various locations for the mic.