1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Preamp for my Fender 5: Bass Mods or Aguilar?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by 5stringmike, Mar 20, 2017.

1. 5stringmike

5stringmike

Jun 15, 2011
    I,m going to change the pre in my American Fender Jazz deluxe 5, and I'm having trouble deciding between Bass Mods or Aguilar OBP3. I want to get some feedback from Fender owners who have/had either. I welcome feedback from those who have used either. I bought the bass new in 1994 and have the original single coil pickups and Audere pre with the 5 way switch.

2. WesW

WesW <><

Jul 25, 2002
    Lynn Haven, FL
    Just curious - why not keep the Audere? You could change the pups and keep the Audere unless it's not giving you what you want. . . Thoughts?

3. bgartist

bgartist Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I have basses with both but my jazz with the BasMods is my favorite.

4. 5stringmike

5stringmike

Jun 15, 2011
    Here's the deal...The Audere was a big improvement for me, not exactly what I was looking for, but definitely good enough to keep me happy for the last 8 years or so. I thought about replacing the pickups, but got overwhelmed with what's available & left that alone. I played a Bass Mods 435 & fell in love with the tone. Would love to buy one - not in the budget! So here I am liking the tone on both of these preamps & having trouble deciding between them.

5. WesW

WesW <><

Jul 25, 2002
    Lynn Haven, FL
    Ok, gotcha - thanks.
    I'm putting together a jazz - as a "P" guy - and looking to the Audere, but just making sure I'm getting what I think I am. I have some Super 55 Fender pups - as I like the humbucking, as opposed to single coil sound - and play mostly rock, blues, worship and typically going for a little grind and warmth, as opposed to clean & pristine sound. :)
    I've not heard the bass mods pre's - so now curious about what they add. . .
    thanks!

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  6. Tewest86

Tewest86 Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2007
    Houston, Tx
    I've had both in the same bass. I would go with the Aguilar because of the switchable mid option. The thing I like about the Bass Mod pre is that is has a gain control like Bartolini preamps.

5stringmike likes this.
  7. chadhargis

chadhargis Jack of all grooves, master of none Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    ROY PENNON likes this.
  8. 5stringmike

5stringmike

Jun 15, 2011
    Cool! What's the other bass?

9. 5stringmike

5stringmike

Jun 15, 2011
    Looks good! I'll check this out, even though I doubt that it can take my attention from the Bass Mods or Aguilar...

Thanks for the info!

10. chadhargis

Jan 5, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    Give this a look:

11. bgartist

bgartist Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I have a Pedulla Thunderbolt 5 with Nordstrand Fatstacks and OBP-3 and a Pedulla Rapture J5 with Bartolini Brights and BassMods preamp. I made the Rapture modification after seeing BassMods videos... found the tone I was after for years.

5stringmike likes this.
  12. 5stringmike

5stringmike

Jun 15, 2011
    Yeah, they both seem to be good combinations. I'm probably going to go with the Bass Mods in my Fender, and I'll put the OBP-3 in my 6 string.

13. Mr_O'B

Mr_O'B

Feb 22, 2015
    OBP3 is the clear winner in the video!

5stringmike likes this.
  14. chadhargis

Jan 5, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    Guess it depends on what you're looking for. I have the outboard version of the OBP3 (Tone Hammer pedal) and I like it a lot too, but I don't run it flat, and I have no "clicking" problems with it. It's a great 18v 3lb chunk of steel on my pedal board. :)

I love me some Aguilar too!

IMG_2079.jpg

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
    Louie Cevasco and 5stringmike like this.
  15. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    I can only recommend what I like and have had success with. It's always been East u-retro for me. I have recently acquired a tone hammer and line the sounds it makes very much. So maybe the obp3 might be worth a look. A TH is more or less an obp3 in pedal form.

Hope this helps in some way!!

5stringmike likes this.
  16. chadhargis

Jan 5, 2010
    Nashville, TN

I have the J-Retro...which I like. I have the Tone Hammer (OBP-3) which I also like. And the Mike Pope Flexcore...which once you get all the knobs and switches in the right spots...Is good too!

I think the only preamps that I really didn't care for were the Tech21 Sansamp and VT stuff. Just couldn't get what I wanted out of those suckers.

Wfrance3 and 5stringmike like this.
  17. Wfrance3

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    +1 on the tech 21 stuff. I can't make it work either. I like my TH for the tones, but man is it noisy.

5stringmike likes this.
  18. chadhargis

Jan 5, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    Really? Mine is dead quiet. I am running an isolated power supply so that might be the difference. None of my pedals are chained from a power standpoint.

Wfrance3 likes this.
  19. Wfrance3

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    I can get my TH quiet if I don't put the vol much past 9 o'clock position. (About 1/4 of the way from off). Have it run from a cioks dc-5 which is isolated power. The closer I get the vol to noon, the noisier it gets. I like the fullness of the vol in the 12 o'clock pos, and feel that the 9 o'clock pos weakens my signal too much. I think the TH is maybe just not for me.

20. chadhargis

Jan 5, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    I'm running the Cioks DC5 too. But my gain is at noon and my master is about 11 o'clock (pointing at the "M" in master). I really only use the TH for my P bass or if I wanna throw the passive switch on my other basses and go "old school".

Wfrance3 likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 17, 2021