1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

preamp for piezo only bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by dlmarquez, Feb 27, 2008.

1. I'm playing around with a solid body piezo only bass. It will have an acoustic style bridge, with a piezo strip underneath. I'll use either TI acousticores or LaBella tapes with it (I LOVE LaBella tapes!) and I'd like to set it up with a good preamp. either on-board, or external if it gets the job done!
    any recommendations? I'd like to be able to really control the 3 basic bands: lows, mids, and highs. Parametric control would be ideal of course!
    Suggestions gentlemen and ladies?
    Oh, all you bass players too!!!

2. fokof

fokof One day ,I'll be in the future

Mar 16, 2007
    Here
    Graphtech makes a very nice piezo preamp

3. richnota

richnota Gold Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Santa Cruz
    I've been quite excited by the Aguilar + Hipshot/Ghost piezo bridge combination that's in my Tom Clement. The three band really hits the sweet spots with a piezo.

Joe Veillette uses a D-Tar but incorporates passive tone. He's used Aguilar and Audere for active stuff.

Rob Allen uses the Fishman for his amazing sounding basses but relies on a custom preamp for his active basses (Deep 5)...not sure what's in that plain grey box.

My personal favorite for active is Demeter--Something special there. Problem is they seem to take a long time to get. I have an outboard box version but am still hoping to do a future build with one.