1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

preamp for transducer/piezo?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Phendyr_Loon, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Phendyr_Loon

Phendyr_Loon

Sep 4, 2010
    Hello, I'm planning to start tinkering around with a semi-hollow body build and I have a question about the configuration of the electronics.
    I'm wondering if I could integrate this http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electro..._acoustic/Schatten_Soundboard_Transducer.html
    with a bartolini (or other) preamp, and toggle between the transducer and a humbucker with a 2 way mini switch.
    So it would look like:
    Humbucker - transducer > 2 way mini toggle > preamp > output.
    I'm not an expert, but the only problem I could foresee might be impedance issues.
    Can I make this work?

2. There will definitely be impedance issues if you want to combine the pickups, but you said you just want a 2 way switch, so that won't matter. It would be best to use a proper buffer on the piezo, rather than feed a standard 1M Ohm input impedance from a preamp meant for magnetic pickups, though.

3. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
  4. eddododo

eddododo Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2010
    I don't think the bartolini is what you'd want to put the Piezos through

You may consider a simpler 'preamp,' such as a source follower buffer, for each of the pickups to match output impedance; that way you can BLEND the two and get the most out of your options... cause man, blending in a piezo can sound SO damn good

IF it were me, I would use the more 'passive' (I know, it is indeed active) route of using buffers to blend, rather than a preamp that may or may not sound good on one pickup or the other..