1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Preamp for vintage portaflex?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by portaflexer, Jun 8, 2007.

1. portaflexer

portaflexer

Jan 31, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Anybody know of a decent small preamp I can put in front of my vintage portaflex? I don't want junk but don't want to spend a fortune either. Some modern basses are just way too hot for this old classic.

2. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
  3. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.

Does it kill the overall tone, when you slightly roll-off these basses volume knobs just enough to corect this situation?

4. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    That's my question, too. I have often had to turn down my 55-01's overly hot korean pre. It would overload the active input of my old SWR 350, and also my tech21 Bass compactor. Turning it down about 20% fixed the problem. I admit that's a nuisance. Do any built-in pre-amps have a trim pot for output? :confused:

5. portaflexer

portaflexer

Jan 31, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Yeah, that's what I've been doing is turning the bass down. I just thought a preamp might be a better solution.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 27, 2021