1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Preamp Gain - crackling sound when I turn up

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rodan, Jan 2, 2004.

1. I just turned on my 9-year old SWR Bassic 350 (now known as Bass 350) after a couple of months of no use and discovered that when I turn up the preamp gain knob, I kinda hear this slight but noticeable crackling/buzzing sound coming out of my speaker cabs. I also noticed today that the hiss coming from the speakers was louder than usual (I don't turn off my horns all the way), and although it's been a while since I've used it, I also get the impression that the volume level is a bit lower than it used to be.

I could certainly use your help in diagnosing the problem. Is this what happens if your preamp tube becomes microphonic, or could it be a more serious problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, if I need a new preamp tube, where can I get one and do you recommend any that would complement the SWR circuitry?

Many thanks

2. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I can't help you witht the tube, but it certainly sounds like the pot on the gain knob is dirty/dusty. Most repairers should be able to repair that quite easily. It may not hurt to get them to replace the tube while it's open.

3. Yeah, guess I might just take the head somewhere to get checked out. I was hoping to at least narrow down the sources of the problem.

Any other ideas on what the problem with my amp might be?

4. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Sounds like the pot is dirty. Go get
    some high quality cleaning/lube spray
    and do it yourself first. It might save
    you alot of time and money. Plus ....
    it couldn't hurt. jmho