Preamp help!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by flexo, Jun 30, 2005.

1. flexo

May 3, 2005
    Perth, Australia

I'm probably going to buy a used preamp from a fellow forumite to put into my OLP MM2 bass and ive got a couple questions about preamps before i get it.

The preamp came out of a 2 pickup bass but my bass only has one pickup. Will this cause any problems and will i still get the full proper use out of the preamp?

There are a couple pots missing too, so what value of pots would i need for a passive pickup?
  2. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

if it's a the common Bart, Aggie, EMG aftermarket it won't make any difference in the number of pups. If it's some factory pre (typically with printed circuit board configurations that don't adapt well to a different bass) I don't know. I haven't ran across any that the pup number would matter but they're probably out there. From a manufacturers standpoint, it's a lot more cost effective to make a pre that would drop into any basses you were making that year.

From what I've gathered, the pots are more geared toward the workings of the preamp than the pups so whatever the pre manufacturer recommends or whatever it came with. The only exception I know of is with volumes where actives typically require a 25K pot but I don't think the Bart NTMB 25K changes regardless whereas EMG recommends 250 or 500 for passives and seem Aggie's go with the same.

The major aftermarket manufacturers have diagrams on their sites.