Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Preamp help?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Pre EB, Nov 2, 2002.

1. Pre EB

Pre EB

Mar 15, 2002
    Denton, Tx
    Ok here's the deal
    1. I had an old reverb/delay unit in the effects loop of my F-1X
    2. I took it out cause it's not that good for bass
    3. Now I'm not getting the volume(gain) I used to get and now I have to turn it up all the way to get any significant volume.
    4. I tried 2 different basses, different cords, checked the battery in my bass, etc.

What is the problem?!?!?!
    Should I change tubes? I have an extra 12AX7. My new bassman started making weird sounds the other day with no history of problems and now this. Could it be the power in my apt.?
    Any help would be great!
    Joe

2. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Your delay unit probably boosted the level. Can you put it back temporarily to see if this is the case or if something else is the cause of the decreased level?

3. Pre EB

Pre EB

Mar 15, 2002
    Denton, Tx
    Actually the delay, an OLD (I got it for $30!) ART Pro-verb, didn't take away or add anythig to the signal. I even tried different speaker cables.
    The Preamp is mint and I've never had a problem with it. I'm gonna try changing the tube and see if that works.... now where's my damn square bit for my driver!

4. Pre EB

Pre EB

Mar 15, 2002
    Denton, Tx
    Replaced the tube and it sounds just peachy!:eek:

5. Pre EB

Pre EB

Mar 15, 2002
    Denton, Tx
    OK. I changed tubes twice; the last one being brand new, and it is still making noises. It sounds like the ocean- kind of a whooshing that comes and goes like waves crashing. What gives? Could it be my power amp (QSC USA 850)? This is getting very frustrating:mad:
    BTW, it sounds great for a short while after changing tubes and then it starts all over again. Is there anyone out there who has had this experience with an F-1X? In all the research I did on this preamp before I bought it, I have never seen or heard a single complaint about reliability.

6. 1st of all try plugging your bass straight into the power amp if you still get the "whoshing sound" then it is not coming from the pre-amp. I've used an F-1X for 7 years and it still has the same tube that came with it. If yours' is eating tubes like this I think there must be something out of wack somewhere inside. I'd give Alembic a call and describe the problem to one of their techs. It might need serviced.:(

7. Pre EB

Pre EB

Mar 15, 2002
    Denton, Tx
    I'll try it right now. If it's the preamp ( which is in fantastic shape and clean inside) I'll contact Alembic. The guy I bought it from had just changed the tube before he sold it to me. The second one was an old one from my Hartke head and the third brand new. Never heard of the brand though; Mojo Tone. They guy at the store said it was the same as a Sovtek but it looks totally different inside the thing.
    Thanks for the help!
    Joe

8. Pre EB

Pre EB

Mar 15, 2002
    Denton, Tx
    Just tried it and no whooooshing; in fact it sounded pretty good through just the power amp (just not enough gain). ANY idea at all what is wrong? How much $$$$$$ to fix?