1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Preamp idea needs assistance

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by mojomadness, Jan 9, 2012.

1. mojomadness

mojomadness

Apr 19, 2011
    Hi guys,

I'm taking the next step into DIY'ing and plan on constructing my own pickups and electronics. I've got the pickup design down already, but I'm at a loss as to how to design the preamp.

My inspiration for this project is the Wal pickup and preamp combo (I'm not trying to cop the Wal tone with this, just inspired by the design). So what I envision is 2 humbuckers, each with an individual buffer, then on to individual low pass filters, then to a blend before a final buffer before the output.

Now...I have very little experience with active electronics so I guess the first question is, is this even practical? Or is there a better solution for what I want (2 blendable pickups with individual tone controls)?

Any suggestions on circuits for this system? I've got plenty of resources on FET buffers, and an FET buffered blend circuit. Also how would frequency boost be incorporated? For example, if I wanted a switch to boost mids?

Finally for the low pass filters, would it not just be possible to use passive tone controls? And if so how are they incorporated into a buffered circuit?

Hope you guys can help...I'm purely after ideas for this, and expect it to be a huge learning experience

Cheers! :bassist: