preamp in a rumblefish?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by robb., Jun 11, 2004.

1. does anyone have any stories about adding a preamp to a reverend rumblefish? one of the basses i'm interested in is a rumblefish, but i'd also like the flexibility of a preamp. but since the rumblefish has a great vintage tone, i think most people buy them as an alternative to their active basses.

just curious. if i bought a fish, i'd probably try a preamp anyway, but if anyone has any experience or heard anything about it, please let me know.

2. you could always use an outboard preamp.
  3. Reverend pickups are very hot for passive pickups.
  4. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Like putting little lace curtains in your pickup truck.

You just don't NEED that.
  5. ok, so that's three no's... :p
  6. I have to agree.. don't do it! The Reverend's tone is so great, I don't see any reason to mess with it. And, given the way the Reverend is constructed, I think adding an onboard preamp would be difficult.
    I just snagged Rumblefish #62 to go with my #47! :hyper:
  7. Z-Bass

Z-Bass Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I recall seeing a Reverend 5L for sale at Bass Northwest a while ago that had an Aguilar OBP-1 2-band preamp added. Maybe they can provide some info on how it sounded if they recall. Having previously owned a 5L myself, I agree with the others. The pickups do provide plenty of output and great tone, but I was curious myself what it would have sounded like through an outboard preamp on occasion. More for sh*ts and giggles than anything else.
  8. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

I seem to remember someone putting piezo saddles (and associated electronics) on a Rumblefish - the details (such as they are) are available on The Bottom Line archive. With the semi-hollow body there's a lot of internal space for electronics installation.

Not that I'd necessarily recommend it in general, I like my P-J as-is although piezo saddles sound interesting.