Preamp in Cable for Bass????

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by rickbass, Mar 15, 2002.

1. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Could putting an FET preamp in an instrument cable work for bass as respectably well as any onboard preamp???

I don't know. I'm a tech-moron.

The idea seems great - one preamp for different basses just by plugging into different basses.

Any insight would be appreciated. Here's where details are -
  2. #$%@$#% cool.

I'm gonna email the link to a EE guitarist friend of mine. He always likes interesting musical/electrical ideas.

But for'd be a little different. Different tuning that is. Besides, not being able to change on the fly would be a bid downer. But it might be cool to have a bass w/ one knob (volume) and the preamp be the cable.

Or.....use his remote powering ideas and apply it to the inside of a bass guitar, retaining all of your tweakablity of your signal. You'd be relying on the "MXR" box to power your bass, or the phantom power. But seems like a lot of hassle when a passive/active switch will take care of any problems you have on the fly.

But cool still. Just not terribly useful in our situation.
  3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Thanks, tuf. Your engineering knowledge has always been impressive.

Like the other truths I've found concerning bass music and gear - the "long way/more expensive way" is usually "right" way. :rolleyes:
  4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I don't know if it's as respectable :p but I saw some high end Monster-wannabe-brand cable in an ad that had a preamp built in. Strictly a buffering preamp, though, no controls.

Anyone else remember seeing this or I am I having an LSD flashback here?