1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Preamp in the Marcus bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by mward69, Jun 20, 2007.

1. mward69

mward69

Jan 20, 2007
    Conyers, GA
    Hey guys, I'm still fighting with myself about what PUP to put in my Marcus 4 string. I do know that I NEVER use the active switch, I stay in passive when I play, now......If I go with passives, what do I do with the preamp? I was thinking of yanking it out {by a pro} and using the bass/high end boost as tones for the neck and bridge PUP......any thoughts on that?

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

I can't tell if you're wanting to change the pups, preamp, or both.

The complaint is usually about the passive mode of which there's a fix in MM reviews in harmonycentral. But that does't sound like your complaint.

Had a couple/three of those pre's but can't remember what they look like. If the pot seperate there's no reason I'm aware of you couldn't use them as tones in a passive harness.

If you're going to Jetison the pups you can toss them my way. Don't want the pre but a package deal may be an option depending.

3. mward69

mward69

Jan 20, 2007
    Conyers, GA
    Sorry if worded is wrong {is that a word?}
    Anyway, I am going to change the stock PUPS out, put in passives since thats all I use anyway. The pre amp thats in there now.....what to do with it. If I have it took out, can I put or use the pods in there and have them wired for tone control for the new PUP.

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

the Miller pups ARE passive already. The bass is only active because it has the preamp. You can't have a passive option in a bass with active pickups becuase active pickups have a preamp built into them that you can't access without destroying the pickup.

I don't recall what the pot value's are in the MM's but typical single coil passive pups use 250K pots. If that's what they are you could use them as tones.

HOWEVER, you're really better off leaving the preamp intact and set it aside and put in new pots/jack cause you're talking chump change. If the tech doesn't have the parts on hand they usually order every couple weeks so not a long delay. It's not worth it to chop up the old pre for the savings. The pre is worth something intact but pretty worthless chopped up - especially if at some point you want to sell the bass in it's original state which is how most guys would want to buy it.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 28, 2021