Preamp info?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by RealBK, Jun 16, 2002.

1. RealBK

Feb 8, 2002
    HI, How do i make a Fender Geddy Lee bass sound great for slapping?

If i buy a outboard preamp will this do the trick? sadowsky etc. I plan to keep the pickups and passive circuit the same as is, but would like the luxury of having the best of both worlds.

The J-retro might be a good idea?
  2. ohiobob227

Aug 18, 2001
    Cloverdale, CA
    The new East (J-Retro) stompbox preamp is due out very soon, may fit the bill for what you're looking for. Something with sweepeable mids would be nice, as you could suck out the specific frequency you want for the typical 'smiley-face' EQ, without losing more mids than you need to. An outboard preamp will allow you to leave your bass stock, but won't give you the quick adjument ability an onboard does, which may or may not be a big deal for you. However, it also doesn't give you the advantage that some onboard preamps have, the J-retro being one, which is that the pickups are independantly buffered, keeping them from interfering with each other when mixed, like a standard passive circuit.

Dude's roadie
    Enter disclaimer here; I do in fact work for a J-retro dealer. Yada yada yada. Man, I gotta add this stuff to a sig or something...
  3. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    I think you're confused. Read the first post.
  4. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    As Mike said above (thanks Mike) I have the first batch of 10 J-Retro Stompboxes on the way in.

See: Stompbox Thread on The Pit
  5. Kid Charlemagne

Kid Charlemagne

May 29, 2002
    IMHO the Sadowsky preamp improves the sound of ANY passive bass!
    I recommend you go for the outboard version, so you can use it on other basses too. :)