Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Preamp install in a bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by gottawalk, Sep 20, 2005.

1. Okay; I looked around but found nothing really specific on this topic, so here goes.

Can I, (and I'll use my bass specifically as the example), install a preamp in my Warwick Fortress to change my bass from passive to active? (I'm assuming that anything can be done; just wondering how.)

So; how complicated is it, and is there a specific brand, style, etc of preamp that is recommended? Would it behoove me to have a tech do it to make sure it's done right?
    I'm noobee to this aspect of the whole thing.

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yes, it can be done. The type of preamp depends on your needs - 2 band, 3 band etc.

If you have no experience of doing this and/or no soldering experience, I'd recommend you get a tech to do it.

3. Thanks. Probably do that;
    In the meantime, if I've been getting some noise out of the bass, shall I assume that "activating" the pups will increase that, also, and maybe I should look into shielding at the same time?

4. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Making the bass active can cause a little noise. Sheilding would be a good idea. Use copper foil or special sheilding paint. IMO the copper works a bit better.

As for what kind of preamp to use, Aguilar makes wonderful preamps. OBP-1 for 2-Band, and OBP-3 for 4 band (two Mid-Freq). They are small and affordable, not to mention sound great. The OBP-1 runs $99.00 at BestBassGear and the OBP-3 runs anywhere from $131.00 to $189.00 depending on options.

They can prewire the OP3 for you for only $35.00 and then it will be extremly easy to install. Replace pots, and possibly drill extra 1/4" holes.

Good Luck with whatever you decide!

5. Thanks for the info. Now I have to get on the stick about knowing 2-band vs. 4-band, etc.