Preamp installation advice

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by socialleper, Mar 4, 2018.

1. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    I'm going to take the next step in working on instruments and replace the active preamp in one of my basses. It is the same number of pots and same controls so it sould be easy.
    The one aspect I'm not sure about is how to handle a few splices. Right now they are wrapped in a black plastic sleeves.
    My question to the TB community is how do I get the sleeves off the current connections, what are the sleeves called so I can buy some replacements, and what is the the best why to install\shrink them after I make my splice?

2. Are they heat shrink tubing or something more substantial like a butt splice sort of thing?
    Do you have pictures?

If you have enough extra wire on the leads that are already in there, perhaps you can cut out the things, whatever they are, and just use heat shrink tubing after you've soldered to the new wires?

3. socialleper

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    20180224_123445.jpg

The blue and gray wire splice will go away with the preamp. However, the power leads for the separate battery compartment are spliced. I'm also thinking about using the same input jack and splicing those in.

4. It just looks like heat shrink tubing.
    You can slice it lengthwise with a razor blade and peel it off to remove it.

Get some new any place that sells electronic components or where you buy bass parts.
    Or google Heat Shrink Tubing.

You really should solder new, directly to the Jack if you have enough wire.
    I get that you have to splice the power lead.
    It will work fine to splice it but it sure says -Amateur- to do that if you don't have to.
    BTW... is the Jack in good shape? Not tarnished? Holds the plug tightly?
    I'm looking at the tarnish on that one pot and wondering about the environment that bass was in.

Lots of rosin on the other pot where it is soldered to the case. Solder on the back of all of the pots looks sketchy. Not real pretty looking in there. Not to be overly critical if that's your work, but if it is, is that why you didn't want to solder to the Jack? Might just be the wrong size iron was used?

DiabolusInMusic likes this.
  5. socialleper

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    Oh, that's not my work. That's the old preamp. I was just trying to show you what I was talking about. The soldering job on the grounding wires is shoddy, the preamp doesn't have a gain, and the balance pot is strachy; those and the fact that I just don't like the sound are what I'm swapping it out.
    The current jack is fine. I like it because it is recessed into the body and all there is on the outside is a rubber grommet and a jack plate. It looks very clean. I don't know if I can replicate that with the jack that came wired to the harness.
    I'm going to head over to the hardware store and look for some of that heat shrink tubing and maybe a Helping Hands stand.

Old Garage-Bander likes this.
  6. socialleper

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    Well, bugger. I just found my first big problem. I didn't know what a "Flush Mount jack" was until a few minutes ago. What can I do about this? Does Aguilar make preamps with flush mount jacks?

20180304_170250.jpg

7. ex-tension

ex-tension

Jun 11, 2009
    When you said:
    I thought you wanted to splice the wires of your existing jack to the new preamp.

Even if they do, you can't install a flush mount jack without desoldering the wires.

Old Garage-Bander likes this.
  8. Oops! That'll slow things down a bit.
    If you can't get one from Aguilar, I'm sure you can find them at any of the places that sell guitar parts.

Get out the hot-n-got and the lead wire. :woot: