1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

PreAmp into Existing Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BillySid, Nov 29, 2006.

1. BillySid

BillySid Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2005
    Weatherford, TX
    Hello all, question for the experts here. I have a Carvin Redline R600 head that I currently use. Are there any problems with running my signal into a tube preamp like the Sansamp RBI or an Ampeg SVPCL first and then into the Carvin to power it? I like the Carvin, I would just like to get a little more tube tone in there. Thanks

2. guidedbassman

guidedbassman

Nov 21, 2006
    malone ny
    yeah man you can do that, just make sure your not driving your head too much with the preamp you could burn up the input stage of the head. I run a RBI into a peavey fire bass 700 and it works well. Also if your looking for more of a warm tube sound i would go with the ampeg the RBI is very dry sounding.

I hope this helps .

John.:bassist:

3. BillySid

BillySid Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2005
    Weatherford, TX
    What would be a comfortable level to drive the preamp into the head without damaging it? I'm assuming to set a certain level on the preamp and then control the main volume on the head right?

4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Yes, that's essentially correct. The tricky part is setting the correct output level on the preamp. First and foremost: listen for unwanted distortion, especially if your amp doesn't have a level or clip indicator for the input.

But really, what you want is for the preamp level to be roughly the same as instrument level. So what you could do is: play your bass through the amp (no preamp): listen to the volume level. Next, put bass into preamp into amp. Make sure volume level is about the same. To be safe, start with the preamp volume at zero and slowly bring it up.

If your amp has a "pad" or other input gain control, then you could attenuate the preamp's signal (if necessary) to bring it down to instrument level.