preamp jack?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jumbomatumbo, Dec 13, 2000.

1. jumbomatumbo

Dec 13, 2000
    I have this old combo amp, and it has a preamp jack on it. could someone explain to me what it is, and what the purpose of a preamp is.
  2. Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    If it says preamp out depending on brand and model it probably means the signal before it goes to the power amp. This could be used for sending out to a recorder or PA. Before you blow something up can you give us a clue as to what amp is it is?

3. jumbomatumbo

Dec 13, 2000
    it's a peavey 120 watt, with 15" speaker. it kicks pretty hard, so i don't see the need for any extra power, it also has an output for additional speakers. i was under the immpression that preamps had tubes in them, and it acted as a distortion, or a gain boost.
  4. This is the output of the part of the amplifier that has the tone controls, the volume control, and the master gain control. If you plug this output into a second amplifier you can drive the second amp and use the controls to control it also. You might use this output into the PA but ask first. I used two 25 watt amps on my double bass the other night on the gig. Coming out of the preamp into the line level input of the second amp. This lets me use a lower over all signal and still be heard on both sides of the stage.

[Edited by bassdude on 12-13-2000 at 08:06 PM]