Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Preamp Mod/replacement G&LTribute L-2500

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by djodjo, Sep 23, 2005.

1. djodjo

djodjo Guest

Sep 23, 2005
    I'm thinking 'bout replacing my L-2500 preamp for an active (Boost/cut) eq-type preamp.

IMO I still dont have enough contol over the tone.

Does anyone has any experience with this, since the MFD's are so hot.

And maybe some suggestions wich one matches best.

thanks.

2. epoxo57

epoxo57

Feb 17, 2005
    Perrysburg, Ohio
    What kind of tone are u looking for? I have an L2000 and have plenty of options and control IMO. I once thought of trying something different too, but when I later plugged in and heard the punch I quickly changed my mind <and smacked myself for thinkin' of such a thing>. Although I'm not sure what a different pre would sound like. Keep in mind, tho I'm not sure about the Tributes, but the beauty of the American G&L preamp is that you have control of the bass and treble with the preamp switched off which is a plus for a more "traditional" tone. I don't think you'll get that anywhere else. If you do swap out, make sure you keep the original preamp.

You could always go to www.thedudepit.com at the G&L forum and ask the veterans there too.

Good luck!

3. djodjo

djodjo Guest

Sep 23, 2005
    I'm looking for a more "active" sound, I you can call in that way.

IMO the tribby sound to much passive, even with the treble boost on.
    I love the overall sound and punchy-ness of the L-2500, but sometimes I miss the extra glassy-tone you get with an active bass. I just love that sound for slap.

I will take a look at the dudepit forum, but I know G&L players are purist, so maybe I will step on a few toes there by asking this question.

4. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    If you want more high end definition on a G&L 2500, open the back and you will find a 1000pF capacitor where the pickups go into the preamp. Leo put this in some MFD models and not in others (L-1500 for example does not have this cap). The Tribute electronics are identical to the US ones with the exception of the series capacitor deal which is long story for another thread.

This 1000pF cap (0.001 on schematic) reduces the resonant frequency of the MFD pups and rolls off some highes to give things a more traditional sound. You can clip one lead on this cap and cover it with electrical tape. If you decide you want the capacitor back in the circuit, simply tack solder the clipped lead back together.

link

I played a G&L-2500 as my main squeeze for about two years. In active mode, both pups, parallel, the thing was in your face modern sound IMO. The treble boost was over the top unless the strings were dead. DA XL 170 super longs thru body were my string of choice (TI Flats if you want a more vintage vibe). I also performed a modification where I replaced the two-way series/parallel switch with an identical switch with three positions. I then went series/single-coil/parallel. Not to hijack the thread but the point being the 2500 is a swiss army knife of basses and you should be able to get a good modern sound from it.

I miss my G&L, but I would not return the Sadowsky for her. I really would like to run across a cheap L-1500...

Dave

5. djodjo

djodjo Guest

Sep 23, 2005
    Hey DavePlaysBass,
    Thanks.
    I will defenitely try it. But where exactly is the cap? The only one I could find in the schematic, is between the bass and treble pots.

6. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    There is a 0.001uF capacitor going from one leg of the bass pot to ground. On my American 2500 it was actually going from a lug on the pot to the case of the pot. Make sure it is the right one ;).

Dave