1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Preamp move, BMax to Eden Navigator

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RSalvador, Sep 27, 2009.

1. RSalvador

RSalvador Lakland 44-94 - Markbass LMT 800 - Schroeder 1212L

Nov 19, 2005
    Springfield, MO
    I bought a used Eden Navigator from a T'Ber. I'm still getting acquainted and have not gigged with it yet, but after going through the extensive steps in the owners manual it seems like the tones I've been wanting but not getting with the BBE are possible. More to come as I continue to use it but your input on settings and use is welcome.

I have a concern/worry though. This piece of gear is 11 years old and I don't know any of it's history. I didn't think about that much when I bought it. I've yet to be caught by an equipment failure and hope I never do. But if I decide I love it, with the age of this gear should I see about sending it in somewhere to have it checked out? Is that something worth looking into to or should I just keep the BMax for back up? I hate hauling extra gear but it would probably be the cheaper option.

2. projectapollo

projectapollo

Aug 12, 2009
    Tennessee
    I just bought a used Navigator, too. Arrives Friday. Any insights so far?

3. billhilly66

billhilly66

Aug 25, 2007
    Plano, TX
    Hang on to the Bmax and run with the Eden. If it breaks down, you'll have a spare while it's in the shop. If it doesn't break down, you're all set.

4. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    VP & Managing Director - Willcox Basses
    Well First off, I have extensive experience with both the Eden and the BBE, and I dig them both. There are a great many more possibilities with the Eden than the BBE.... and not just on account of the extensive eq.

My three favorite features of the Eden are the Tube drive, the compressor and the Enhance. A little-known fact about the tube drive, is that it's asymmetrical. When your signal thru the tube begins to clip and you start to get overdrive, only one half of the signal get the clip (imagine the peaks and valleys of your signal on an oscilloscope.... only one half is sqaured). Its one of the most effective tube effects Ive ever used. Compression is an integral part of my sound, and Ive found the DBX-chipped eden unit to be one of the best on-board comps around. Once you get your basic tone set with the parametric EQ, a quick twist of the the Enhance will adjust for any room and any playing situation. I loved that unit and regret letting it go.....

As far as reliability goes.... these units are tough. I would suggest popping the cover off and giving everything a good shot of compressed air, check to make sure the tube is secure and you should be trouble free for years.

Congrats on a great unit!

5. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Yep - the older Eden stuff is tough. The one thoing I would back away from in the above is the shot of compressed air. That is as likely to damage stuff as fix it.

1. it is very cold
    2. compressed air generally has a water vapor content
    3. that much force can actually push dust into places where it really doesn;t belong...

a gentle vacum treatment is a safer bet...

The enhance control - ooo, I have a love hate relationship with that one. It does 'bedroom' tone. That is it sounds great when you are solo and practicing in the spare bedroom but it is as likely as anything to get muddy llive. If it works for you - great! I find it better to work with the EQ myself. As I like a slight scoop as my native sound, I generally pull a little mid down, varying the frequency to fit the room, and I boost in the 6 k area a little.

+1 on hanging onto the BMax. It's never a bad idea to have a backup IMO. That and the BMax and it's interactive tone stack will go places that the Navigator won't readily. IMO - slap that into the recording rack and leave it there...

Speaking of recording. If you use the Nav to go direct to a recording device - turn everything off... No Turbo Boost, No Tube grind, no EQ, no comp - and be amazed by what it can deliver in just raw tone. I got it really darned close to what I was getting out of a 2K Great River pre ... pretty lofty territory for a live performance oriented pre ...

6. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    VP & Managing Director - Willcox Basses
    +1. I used my 'Gator to record rather than the A Designs pacifica that was available. Sounds fantastic.