Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Preamp of choice?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RevGroove, Jun 21, 2005.

1. Groove Tubes

3 vote(s)
    13.0%
  2. Sovteks

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Phillips

3 vote(s)
    13.0%
  4. Electro Harmonix

3 vote(s)
    13.0%
  5. Tesla JJs

7 vote(s)
    30.4%
  6. Svetlana

1 vote(s)
    4.3%
  7. Other

6 vote(s)
    26.1%
  1. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    If you had a choice of which tube would be stock in your amp's preamp section, which would it be? If you choose other, then please post! Thanks!

2. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    ...that's what I've swapped for in my pre's. Preferably a NOS GE blackplate or Sylvania Gold Pin.

3. DaveMcLain

DaveMcLain

Jun 19, 2005
    Cuba MO
    NOS tubes are fine, but I would much rather have something that's current production with a circuit designed to take the limitations of today's tubes into consideration. Factors such as lower transconductance, gain and current drive should be taken into consideration, that being said I would probably use the Groove Tubes stuff because they do a great job of weeding out the bad tubes and since today's production is very inconsistent, it seems like the best approach to me...

4. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I've had some good luck trying NOS tubes, but lately I've been quite satisfied with the EH 12AX7s. Not saying there's anything wrong with older tubes, mind you, it's just that with the prices of them old things going up as they have been it doesn't pay to get too attached to them. The EHs in my SVP Pro sound great; I've got some older stuff (GE JANs, Tung Sols, etc.) which I plan to run through the F1-X.

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I've never really had any complaints about the new EH 12AX7's, though in some preamps I slightly prefer JJ ECC83s. 5751's are definitely worth checking out, too, if the reduced gain does not pose a problem.

I voted "other", though, because my all around favorite is the NOS Telefunken 12AX7/ECC83 (smooth or ribbed plate, they both sound great to me).

Tom.

6. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    I should have done a little more research before starting this poll...there's more to life than 12AX7s...should I take this poll down and redo it with more options? Or leave this one as far as brands and do a separate one with ratings(?) such as 12AX7, ECC83S, 7025, 12AU7, etc?

7. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I'm new to the world of NOS tubes. I recently bought a couple of NOS G.E. 12AX7's from PsychoBassGuy; I replaced the EH12AX7 in my Demeter HBP-1 preamp with one of the G.E.'s. The NOS G.E. 12AX7 has more midrange grunt and warmer sounding lows to my ears when compared to the EH12AX7. The other G.E. went into my Read Purity preamp and it's added more fidelity to it's tone.

Not to say that the EH12AX7 doesn't sound good, but I was curious to hear if a different 12AX7 would have any impact on my tone. I initially thought if there would be any differences in sound that they would probably be subtle at best. But much to my surprise the G.E.'s have made quite a difference in the sound of both the HBP-1 and the Purity.

- Art

8. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Art, from the research I'm doing, it would appear that different companies have different manufacturing specs and/or SELECTION or QC specs...where's Psychobassguy??? Anyone out there care to "educate" me on this?

9. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Rev,
    over the weekend I was told that there's (a). a North American company that's making tubes, or (b). there's a company that will be opening a North American production facility. Have you heard anything about this? As much as I would like to believe that it's true, I'm doubtful. :eyebrow:

You know, almost everything here in North America sports a "Manufactured in China" label. :mad:

- Art ;)

- Art