preamp on the cheap

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gilbert46, May 4, 2005.

1. gilbert46

Sep 21, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    I bought a poweramp and thought I could get away without having a preamp for a while. Turns out I DO need a preamp, what should I look for in the $150-200 range? Do all preamps have xlr out?

Would those cheap little tube mic preamps work to boost the signal? I found one on sale locally for $40.

possible suspects are the
    behringer ultragain
    art tps
    behringer v-amp pro

I really want a svp but cant afford it right now and need to get this thing working since i was alittle premature and sold my head on ebay :(
  2. remo

Jan 15, 2005
    buy a Sansamp RBI. They sound great and have XLR out.
  3. Use your Sans Amp BDI.
  4. gilbert46

Sep 21, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    i sold it. Anyways, thats a DI output which doesnt have enough current to run the poweramp. I can use the DI from my swr combo and my head unit and get a tiny amount of sound from the amp.
  5. What power amp are you using? I've used my BDI and my Sadowsky di/pre pedal to run my PLX2402, I used those until I got my Avalon U5.
  6. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    If you like the Sansamp sound, use the Programmable Sansamp BDDI. It has a 1/4" boost and XLR pad so that you can run to a power amp. Plus you get the three programmable settings. Pretty nice for about $200.
  7. Yamaha PB-1 'bout $150.00 used
    Peavey Max used
    Sansamp RBI used
    BBE BMax used

There is a Trace Elliot V-Tube on ebay that ends in about 45 minutes currently at $202.00. Also another V-Tube on the bay.

A multitude of options & probably can't go wrong with any (for the price range).
  8. gilbert46

Sep 21, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    thanks guys, the amps is a crown xls 402.
  9. The newer versions of the SansAmp Bass Driver DI (the regular one and I believe the programmable one) has adjustable outputs. I emailed them and they said they just added that feature this past year, so folks could use them with power amps.

10. gilbert46

Sep 21, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    cool guys, thanks for the help. I think If im gonna spend money, I might as well do it right the first time and not have to spend more money later on. Ill settle probably end up selling some gear and getting an ampeg svp variety (I hope) or the rbi. Thanks everyone.

thats the que to send me your offers gentlmen ! :cool: :cool:
  11. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

Ditto on the Peavey Max preamp. I paid $160 for mine. I see them going for $150 or so on Ebay.

footswitchable 2-channels (SS & tube) with combine feature, classic rotary tone stack on the tube channel and graphic EQ on the solid state. Could use a mute switch. I use mine as a replacement for a Sans Amp Bass Driver DI in my home recording setup.

I tried mine using the poweramp in on my Ampeg SVT3 Pro and I liked the sound alot, maybe even just a bit cleaner sounding than the Ampeg pre. Definitely underrated. You'll find a few vocal supporters of this preamp on Talkbass.

Worth a look.
  12. Really cheap if you can find them:

Peavey Probass 1000
    Carvin PB... cant remember the name. Kinda like the Redline preamp without as many features.

I've seen them all for <$100
  13. gilbert46

Sep 21, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    has anyone used or verified the programable sansamp can be used to imput to a poweramp? It doesnt have a xlr boost it has a 1/4 boost. I will call tomarrow if no one knows and post the responce.
  14. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    A cheap mic pre would do the trick for you until you can get the Ampeg. ART TUBE EQ or TUBE PAC or TUBE Channel would be just fine although they are quite clean. Easily found used in your price range. The Tube Channel was my main pre for a couple of years. For clean, it rocks!
  15. Bassnw has a BBE 383 dfor $100. It's in pretty decent condition too.

You can also use an effects pedal for the time being.
  16. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    I have used the PSABDDI to drive a power amp (Stewart 2.1). BUT I used the 1/4" outs to do so. I have yet to try this with the XLR out.

Let us know...
  17. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    i'd go for a Yamaha PB-1. It has so many features and you can get one relatively cheap used.
  18. gilbert46

Sep 21, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    i like to idea of the sabbdi. i forgot to call today about the programable one though.
  19. dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    I have both the SABDDI and the new progammable-- they rock as a tube amp/cab emulator, but I have found much better results when using a SansAmp with a seperate preamp. YMMV, but I find that the SansAmp's level control has to be maxed out to drive a poweramp efficiently. With a preamp placed after the SansAmp in the signal chain, you can adjust the controls to get just the coloration you like and them pump up the gain using the pre.

This really works great-- you can get amazing tone and lots of tonal variations.
  20. afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    SansAmp RBI or BBE BMAX, both used are found around $200. They're really good.

Try them because they are different animals. RBI if you want overdrive and BBE for more quick, clean sound.

Hope this helped...