1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Preamp Opinions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by P.Niggz, May 2, 2010.

1. P.Niggz

P.Niggz

Apr 12, 2009
    Leeds
    My setup is getting bigger, just because I've finally made myself some money in the production business and I feel like treating myself. Anyone have any suggestions of high end pre-amps that are good for bass. Lets just say money isn't a problem (although it is... but lets pretend).

Also any overdrive units (or pres with drive on it) would be good to know about, got some mental amp plans. :)

- P.N!ggz

2. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Two good ones are the Universal Audio 6176 and LA-610 Mk II; johnk_10 has the former, I have the latter.

3. nic salsus

nic salsus

Mar 16, 2010
  4. unlined4string

unlined4string Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Baltimore County, Md.
    If you want a high end preamp specifically designed for bass, I recommend you try the Michael Pope Designs MPP-1 or (1 channel) MPP-2 (2 channel). Also the Glockenklang BassArt Classic.

If you want a general purpose preamp, try the Millennia Media STT1 or Avalon VT737.

If you want a DI box that can serve as a preamp, try the Millennia Media TD1, Avalon U5, Summit Audio 2BA-221. These can work well if the bass has a lot of onboard tone shaping capability.

5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    Demeter 201s would be top of my list, and it's not really super high end. avalon U5 would be close second even though it's a DI. I'm also still really fond of the eden preamp tone, so a navigator might be worth looking into. Once you hit the really high end, 2K plus starts to become a reality. just sayin'.

but really, haul your cab and bass and something to serve as a poweramp (your head, if it has a post EQ effects return will work fine) and check a lot of preamps out to see what you like. set them flat first to get their basic vibe. (hint - alembic preamps and other fender clones like the trace v-type are flat at 2-10-2, deep and bright switches off).

6. The Gallien Krueger 2001RBP. Its the preamp section from the GK 2001RB. Its what I use and I love it. You can get as much overdrive as you want, plus great clean tones. The foot swicth is great too! It has a horn mute button, a channel A/B button, and a mute button (Great for tuning). I love having the two channels, one clean, one dirty. I usually play on the dirty channel with a touch of gain and use the clean channel to solo or bring out my parts more (and I use the tube simulation feature on it to get gain also).

7. unlined4string

unlined4string Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Baltimore County, Md.
    In my previous post I focused on relatively expensive gear. But there are lower cost alternatives that might work well for you and offer a lot of bang for the buck.

The Aguilar Tone Hammer is one to try. The street price new is around $220. I have no problem driving various power amps designed for sound reinforcement with a Tone Hammer.

The PreSonus Eureka is a nice channel strip that can be found for under $300.00 on the used market.

I've seen used MarkBass SD800's going for as little as $550.00 recently. The XLR line out is hot enough to drive a sound reinforcement power amp, plus you get a 750 watt internal power amp in a unit what weighs no more than most preamps.

If you dig the Acoustic 360 preamp design you might like the Viva Analog 360+. There are hand made by J.C. Malliot. A very nice modern low noise version of the Acoustic 360 preamp. I don't know the current pricing, but they are worth it if you want the 360 vibe in a stomp box sized package. These also have no problem driving a sound reinforcement power amp.

8. P.Niggz

P.Niggz

Apr 12, 2009
    Leeds
    Thanks for the opinions guys, I'm looking into all those preamps. My original plan was to get a BBE BmaxT and a Sansamp RBI, run the BBE into the 115 and the RBI into the 610 with some drive, but now I've fallen into some money I thought I might aswell look at some more high end gear.

Any ideas on pres to use in this sort of setup? Or should I just find a pedal I like with the right drive, maybe the Sansamp VT pedal, and send it to the pre going to the 610.

Also thanks for the opinions on the Avalon U5, I've been thinking of getting one to replace the Radial DI I use on my pedal board, its a definite now :).

Thanks Guys,

- P.N!ggz

9. P.Niggz

P.Niggz

Apr 12, 2009
    Leeds
    I can't see an instrument input on the 6176 but the LA-610 looks like a good call. :)

I've used alot of LA2A Compressors, how do you find the compressor on the LA-610?

10. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    the ua 6176 has one - may be on the rear. it's officially a mic pre but many of the best preamps for bass are. the avalon U5 is a stand alone preamp, no eq knobs but very useful presets and if your bass has a good preamp and eq its all you need. I'm a fan of the sans amp bass DI, but only in a side chain blendable effects loop. it has a mid suck that needs to be tamed even with the blend control on the DI turned way down. not sure if the standalone sans amp preamp has the same issue. With mine i run it in the effects loop of an swr (not that you need to use an swr) and i can dial in tons of grit and then blend that tone with the dry tone to taste - no need for different signals going to different cabs.

11. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    The DI in on the 6176 is in the same location as the LA-610 as they are the same preamp but with different design compressors.

12. P.Niggz

P.Niggz

Apr 12, 2009
    Leeds
    Thanks for that man, I know the different signals into different cabs is sometimes seen as too much but I heard someone have a setup like this and it sounded great. I just want to do this but with better equipment. :)

13. P.Niggz

P.Niggz

Apr 12, 2009
    Leeds
    Oh yeah I see it :) haha... must have gone blind for a minute.

14. LongHairFreak

LongHairFreak Insert cool nickname? Nobody's given me one yet. Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2006
    Twin Cities - MN
  15. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    personally i try to stay away from built in od units - way too many good od units out there aftermarket. the one thing i have found is that it is a good idea to either send the od to only half your cabs or to use a side chain effects loop or other mixing option to blend the straight and OD signals. most OD units tend to suck the low end and a lot of the punch right out of a bass. some units with built in blend might work, i know from experience that the sans amp DI isnt one of them, that blend only removes the drive and presence but retains the weird mid-suck vibe of the SA and also leaves the bass and treble controls always full on in the circuit. I use one, but in a blendable effects loop (which most really high end preamps don't have)

16. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Be sure to check out the excellent preamp sound samples that Todd Vanselus put up over at basstaster's.

17. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i have the UA 6176, Focusrite ISA 430 MKII and the Avalon VT737SP, and IMO, all of them make great bass preamps. I recently had a UA LA 610 MKII, but felt that owning both of the UA units was a little redundant (BTW, they are both great) and i just preferred the 6176's FET 1176LN comp a little bit more, but the LA-2 opto tube type comp in the 610 was also super nice.
    i have a bit of info on my website on bass preamps here and channel strips here.

other preamps that i'm looking into acquiring are the Neve 8801, API 7600, and the SSL superanalogue channel, and all three of these are 1U units.