Preamp Options for Jazz Plus V

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by dinoadventures, Sep 20, 2016.

1. dinoadventures

dinoadventures Feets don't fail me now!

Jul 10, 2015
    Dallas, TX
    Hello.

My '91 Jazz Plus V's preamp has died so I'm looking at replacement options. It's rear routed for three knobs, two of which are stacked.

My requirements are:
    • Active/Passive switch
    • Adjustable mids

Strongly prefer vol/vol over vol/blend.

So I found the Aguilar OBP3 which seems like it would give me everything except the active/passive switch (unless I drill for a switch). There's also the Noll TCM3 and TCM 4XM, which would give me everything I want except it has vol/blend instead of vol/vol.

Is there any possible way I can make that Aguilar work with some kind of push-pull pot to give me that switch? Are there any options I'm missing?

2. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    That bass comes stock with a Kubicki preamp which is pure magic. I would contact Mike the guitar doctor who took over Kubicki servicing and get a replacement from him.

3. dinoadventures

Jul 10, 2015
    Dallas, TX
    It's hardly been magic for me. Aside from being too unreliable to take out of the house for several months, it's always been a noise magnet. I'm pretty ready to move on.

4. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Oh man, sorry to hear that. I never had that problem and I have and have had a few of these basses. For me the pre is just super present and full.

That said, recently I have modded a few of my Jazz Deluxe basses with the John East J retro deluxe unit. It's a drop unit Premounted to a jazz control plate so you would have to get the Uni Pre which Is the modular modular version. It's a new and improved version of the U retro which was the modular unit. It's an incredible preamp. Expensive but worth every penny.

Good luck.

5. You can have an active/passive switch, and two volumes, with ANY preamp that does not have PCB-mount pots.

wcriley and dinoadventures like this.
  6. dinoadventures

Jul 10, 2015
    Dallas, TX
    Looks like I'd need to drill for at least one switch with John East as well.

Can I have it without drilling for a switch? That is, is there a pot that can act as the switch?

7. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    If you want the active/passive control you would need to drill for either a switch or push pull passive tone control pot.

One of the many things I love about the Kubicki preamp is the fact that the bass knob doubles as a passive control in the passive mode. Thus you can keep things down to three knobs.

Of course, your other option is just to have the base be active full-time.

dinoadventures likes this.
  8. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Aren't all the switches incorporated into the control plate? They were for mine. They look to be on the web site.

9. dinoadventures

Jul 10, 2015
    Dallas, TX
    Mine is rear-routed like this, so there is no control plate.

130139047671-1.jpg

10. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Only on the drop in unit

11. SteveC

Got it. Missed the non drop in part.

12. Sweet Willie

Sweet Willie

Dec 31, 2014
    NY
    Former moderator for now non-active Nordstrand Forum
    So, if I'm understanding correctly, you're hoping not to do further modifications to your bass if possible -- other than a new preamp. You want vol/vol plus 3-band preamp w/ sweepable mids. I think that means, in your case, three stacked knobs -- vol/vol, mid vol/mid freq, treble/bass. Thus, if you want an active/passive switch, you'd need a push/pull stacked knob.

I found this thread about push-pull stacked pots: Stacked Pot with Push/Pull

(If you don't need fully/broadly adjustable mids, you could have a mid knob that's push-pull for two different mid freq settings, but that doesn't address your active/passive switch issue.)

13. dinoadventures

Jul 10, 2015
    Dallas, TX
    Yes, I do believe that's correct. Is possible to do that with an Aguilar OBP-3?

14. Sweet Willie

Sweet Willie

Dec 31, 2014
    NY
    Former moderator for now non-active Nordstrand Forum
    I have an Ag OBP3 in one of my basses which I'm quite pleased with. It has a push/pull active/passive on the volume knob. However, it's not a stacked knob. I would think that a push/pull stacked vol/vol knob could potentially do active/passive, BUT I'm out of my depth beyond this, so better informed folks than me will need to answer your specific question.

Good luck.

15. DavC

DavC

May 17, 2005
    Tallmadge , Ohio
    push/pull knob instead of drilling for a switch .. !?

a lot of pres can be wired for active/passive ...

maybe be 3 stacked pots , one of them push/pull , you could do whatever you want ... maybe including a passive tone for that mode .. !!

Sadowsky , Carvin , Aggie ... haven't installed or used others .. ?

bestbassgear might wire up a harness/ preamp for you ... i've found push/pull pots to be a PITA to solder !

or ... what i've done ... gone all passive ... with external preamp , to use with any bass/gtr .. ?

16. Mr_O'B

Mr_O'B

Feb 22, 2015
    I owned an Aguilar OBP3 and I didn't like it!

Any type of boosting was extreme, and it had a loud hiss!

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
  17. SteveC

He wired up my old Carvin fretless 6 for me - Bartolini pups and preamp and the same in my Yamaha BB605 and did an awesome job.

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021