Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

preamp options

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by K Dubbs, Mar 17, 2002.

1. K Dubbs

K Dubbs Just graduated from OSU, Go Bucks!

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    I'd like to get a nice preamp with good tube emulation circuitry less than 400 bucks. I know tubes can create a great sound for certain circumstances, but that whole *pop* sound they make plus maintenance i don't wanna have to deal with. Does anybody make a good sounding lots-of-features non-tube preamp?

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    My SansAmp RBI has the best emulation of the ones I've heard. Cheap, too.

3. K Dubbs

K Dubbs Just graduated from OSU, Go Bucks!

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    actually i don't much care about the whole tube maintenance thing. I just want a good preamp with lots of options under 400. I saw the peavey max preamp. Any opinions on that? Also, I saw Gallien Krueger is releasing a preamp. Any thoughts on these?

4. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I've got one and I like it a lot. I got mine used and it was a steal! :) Check one out if you can find one to try. I think that there are quite a few Peavey Max owners on this forum. Try doing a search for the Max.

5. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I have brand new rackmount BBE model 381 preamp for sale (never used, not even once!). It also has a built in BBE Sonic Maximizer (sweet!).

6. LJW

LJW

Feb 8, 2002
    northeastern pa.
    I, too, like my Max.

....seems to be a bargain.