Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Preamp or Aphex

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by kboyd, Dec 23, 2002.

1. kboyd

kboyd

Jul 6, 2002
    Loranger
    Just got a new rig for small gigs. An ampeg B2r with a 2X12 combo, been waiting for a month for this, and it IS worth the wait. Great lows, smooth highs and nice middle. But I am wanting to add something to it. I am thinking about getting a little more tone and bottom thickness for the wattage I have in the rig (350). I am thinking about the Aphex, or a tube pre, like the Aguilar... Any suggestions?

2. Herkimer

Herkimer

Dec 10, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    I made two new purchases recently that may help you out...

First, you might want to look at the SansAmp RBI. Its a rackmount version of Tech 21's popular SansAmp direct box. You can get the direct box for about $130. The RBI is about $299. Both offer a great tube sound - in a solid state box -with lots of control. You can blend the effected sound with direct sound for proper balance. The unit also features a great 'drive' dial that controls the warmth and distortion. You can dial in fat tone (like Nathan East) to crunchy distortion (Tool) very easily.

Secondly, I wanted to buy an Aphex too. Instead, I bought the Berhinger UltreFex 2600. It does the same thing for $79 - considerable savings over the $399 Aphex! It's enhancement is subtle but helpful. For the price, you can't go wrong.

3. kboyd

kboyd

Jul 6, 2002
    Loranger
    Thanks for the reply, and I have been reading some reviews about the aphex 204. I failed to mention that I have a dunlop MX 80 with a distortion channel which I chose over the sansamp direct box, but I have not checked out the sansamp rackmount unit. (will try it next week).
    As far as the Aphex and other brands of enhancers, I hate to make a purchase without trying all of them first, especially if the effect is subtle. I will let you know how the sansamp rack unit sounds. Thanks again.

4. richie

richie

Dec 12, 2002
    San Diego County
    Also take a look at the Sansamp rack mount with the digital processor. They are pricy but there are some really good patches and also you can write patches too!:

5. I just picked up an Aphex 204 from eBay for $230, then had a recording session the same day it arrived. All I can say is it's money well spent, the engineer from the studio bought one the next day for his setup. It adds a mild yet noticeable dimension to the lows and highs. Incredible box!