1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Preamp or Aphex

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by kboyd, Dec 23, 2002.

1. kboyd

kboyd

Jul 6, 2002
    Loranger
    Just got a new rig for small gigs. An ampeg B2r with a 2X12 combo, been waiting for a month for this, and it IS worth the wait. Great lows, smooth highs and nice middle. But I am wanting to add something to it. I am thinking about getting a little more tone and bottom thickness for the wattage I have in the rig (350). I am thinking about the Aphex, or a tube pre, like the Aguilar... Any suggestions?

2. Herkimer

Herkimer

Dec 10, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    I made two new purchases recently that may help you out...

First, you might want to look at the SansAmp RBI. Its a rackmount version of Tech 21's popular SansAmp direct box. You can get the direct box for about $130. The RBI is about $299. Both offer a great tube sound - in a solid state box -with lots of control. You can blend the effected sound with direct sound for proper balance. The unit also features a great 'drive' dial that controls the warmth and distortion. You can dial in fat tone (like Nathan East) to crunchy distortion (Tool) very easily.

Secondly, I wanted to buy an Aphex too. Instead, I bought the Berhinger UltreFex 2600. It does the same thing for $79 - considerable savings over the $399 Aphex! It's enhancement is subtle but helpful. For the price, you can't go wrong.

3. kboyd

kboyd

Jul 6, 2002
    Loranger
    Thanks for the reply, and I have been reading some reviews about the aphex 204. I failed to mention that I have a dunlop MX 80 with a distortion channel which I chose over the sansamp direct box, but I have not checked out the sansamp rackmount unit. (will try it next week).
    As far as the Aphex and other brands of enhancers, I hate to make a purchase without trying all of them first, especially if the effect is subtle. I will let you know how the sansamp rack unit sounds. Thanks again.

4. richie

richie

Dec 12, 2002
    San Diego County
    Also take a look at the Sansamp rack mount with the digital processor. They are pricy but there are some really good patches and also you can write patches too!:

5. I just picked up an Aphex 204 from eBay for $230, then had a recording session the same day it arrived. All I can say is it's money well spent, the engineer from the studio bought one the next day for his setup. It adds a mild yet noticeable dimension to the lows and highs. Incredible box!