Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

preamp or effects?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Yvon, Nov 28, 2003.

1. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I have a little bit of money spare. I was thinking about buying a multi effects unit or maybe a J-retro stomp box.
    I never used effects sice I started playing bass (almost 20 years ago). But I was thinking I could buy some multi effect unit like the Digitech BP8 (you can find them cheap!!) or the boss GT-6B. I could fool around with effects a little bit with those unit.
    Or I could buy the J-retro stomp box and maybe start a good pedal case from there with maybe some EBS or other good quality pedals.
    What do you, effects experts, think?

PS: my fist post in this forum!! :D

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Yvon, welcome!

What are you looking to do with your sound?

A floor preamp, like the JRetro Stompbox, Fodera, Aguilar DB924, Mxr M80, Sadowsky, Sansamp etc will give you additional tone control (bass,treble,mid,drive) at your feet - help with your sound shaping.

Are there any particular effects you'd like to get? If you're not sure, and just want to get a better idea of what the different effects are then a multi fx unit is a good way to start out. The Zoom BFX 708, Digitech BP200 and Digitech BP8 are all decent boxes for the money. I wasn't that impressed with the GT-6B, I didn't use the amp modelling and the effects weren't that great to my ears.

Once you identify the effect types you want (i.e. overdrive, chorus, flange, distortion, fuzz etc) then you can think about moving up to the expensive world of individual pedals. That's when the real fun, and expense, starts! But I'd definitely recommend cutting your teeth on a cheaper multi fx unit.

3. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    all my basses are passives, so I thought that an outboard preamp would help me with some EQ. As for effects....
    A nice distortion, but only a slight distortion (tube amp) would be perfect but I know it's hard to get that sound with stomp boxes.
    I might go with the BP8, we offen see them on bass gear.

4. IMO a BP-8 is the single most amazing thing you can buy for your bass for 100 bucks. I got one as a part of a trade and am amazed at the quality of all of the efx, you just need a bit of persistance to create your own tones.